A bill authored by state Rep. Jesse Kremer, R-Kewaskum, to issue higher penalties to students who disrupt campus speakers passed an Assembly higher education committee Tuesday.

State Republican legislator says he might reintroduce transgender bathroom bill

On the same day President Donald Trump rescinded rules passed under the Obama Administration that allowed transgender students to use bathrooms based on their gender identity, a Wisconsin Republican lawmaker said he will probably introduce a similar bill.

Rep. Jesse Kremer, R-Kewaskum, originally introduced a bill that would require public school students to use the bathroom that corresponds with their sex assigned at birth in 2015. The bill did not survive last congressional session.

On Wednesday, Kremer said he is thinking of reintroducing the state bill that would prohibit transgender students from using a bathroom of their identified gender.

The federal ruling that allowed transgender students to use the bathroom of their choice was rescinded by the Justice Department and the Education Department, on the grounds of the order being instated without regard for the role of the states and local school districts in establishing education policy.

U.S. Rep. Glenn Grothman, R-Wis., said Thursday that he applauds Trump’s decision to reverse the federal policy that forced all schools to allow transgender students to use the bathrooms and locker rooms of their choosing.

“This action by President Trump will put the decision-making process back where it belongs—in the hands of our states and schools,” Glenn said. “Most importantly, we’re keeping our students safe and ensuring their privacy.”

Despite the federal reversal, Kremer wants to reintroduce a bill requiring students to use bathrooms of their birth gender at the state level because presidential administrations change and he wants to ensure the state provides greater protection for Wisconsin school districts.

Wisconsin’s Republican Attorney General Brad Schimel has also voiced support for Trump’s reversal of the bathroom directive.