UW-Madison suspended the university’s chapter of the Sigma Chi fraternity, which is located at 221 Langdon St.

UW-Madison suspends Sigma Chi fraternity for alcohol violation

UW-Madison suspended the university’s chapter of the Sigma Chi fraternity Tuesday because minors were served alcohol at one of the chapter’s events last October, according to university officials.

The fraternity, which has a history of previous violations, is suspended from all university activities until March 1.

A student-led Committee on Student Organizations found that the fraternity, located at 221 Langdon St., was guilty of violating the Student Organization Code of Conduct. The fraternity is now barred from holding events and activities and does not get any of the benefits of being a Registered Student Organization.

After the suspension is lifted, the fraternity will still be on probation and no alcohol will be allowed at their events until May 8, and will remain on general probation until Jan. 23, 2018.

UW-Madison suspended the fraternity during the Spring 2015 semester for numerous conduct violations, including some alcohol infractions. The chapter was placed on alcohol restrictions until Dec. 31, 2015. 

Sigma Chi still has the right to appeal the decision to the Division of Student Life.

The fraternity did not immediately return a request for comment.