Students on campus Tuesday were handed flyers outside the Chemistry Building urging them to join a club fighting “anti-white racism on campus.”

Students denounce possible ‘alt-right’ movement on UW-Madison’s campus

Few issues have been as divisive recently as the rise of the “alt-right,” an extreme group that many see as a haven for white supremacists. Now, one student is seeking to bring the movement to campus.

Daniel Dropik, a UW-Madison student and the founder of the Madison American Freedom Party, caused a stir Tuesday. Flyers advertising the “alt-right” club urged students to “fight anti-white racism on campus.”

The flyers direct students to the club’s website, which says the Madison American Freedom Party aims to become a “fully fledged registered student club.”

“Even the fanatically liberal-progressive stronghold of UW-Madison, cannot, and must not evade the fruitful opportunity for lively discourse, and intellectual growth, that UW-Madison’s own Alt-Right community can provide,” the website says.

Many UW-Madison students were quick to denounce the club once it came to their attention. Dane Skaar, who was handed a flyer outside the chemistry building Tuesday, took to Facebook to express his disbelief.

“Anti-white racism does not exist in American society period,” Skaar wrote in the post, which has been shared over 250 times. “This is not a political view; this is a fundamental fact.”

Colin Barushok, chair of the Student Services Finance Committee, said the UW-Madison administration “is in for a rude awakening” from students if they write off Dropik’s message as “free speech.”

“Calling racism ‘alt-right’ and treating displays of white power as free speech will not ease the anxiety of students of color on this campus,” Barushok said.

The Madison American Freedom Party website previously included a club recruitment video, but YouTube removed it for violating its ban on hate speech.

Additionally, the website includes Dropik’s passionate defense of a conservative club on campus, Young Americans for Freedom, which some students have called a “hate group.”

“I can assert with confidence, that YAF is only interested in protecting the principles of conservatism,” Dropik said in a release. “We look forward to working with YAF.”

However, Kara Bell, the chair of Young Americans for Freedom, said she has no interest in working with Dropik’s organization and made that clear to him when he reached out to form a partnership.

“We do not want to be associated with his group,” Bell told The Daily Cardinal. “They can do what they want, but I made it clear we do not have similarities.”

In response to Bell’s comments, Dropik told The Daily Cardinal that Bell had not been in contact with him, though he acknowledged he “offered to help her on cases where [they] have common ground.”

For the university’s part, UW-Madison spokesperson Meredith McGlone said she does not believe there is truly a “movement” for the “alt-right” forming on campus.

“We’re aware of one individual. This is NOT a registered student organization. Judging by the response this is getting on social media, students appear to be rejecting this mindset pretty soundly,” McGlone said.

After reading McGlone’s comments, Dropik told The Daily Cardinal that in fact, “upwards of ten” students have expressed interest in joining the club.

"Meredith McGlone doesn't know how many students have already expressed interest in joining," Dropik said.

Additionally, Dropik said he received “a lot of hate mail” Wednesday.

The “alt-right” movement gained prominence with the rise and election of President Donald Trump. Citing its ties to white supremacy and neo-Nazism, the Anti-Defamation League and the Southern Poverty Law Center have denounced it as a hate group.

UPDATE: Jan. 25, 10:36 p.m.: This article was updated to include additional comments.