A new UW-Madison program will offer scholarships to international students and encourage them to pursue careers in societal issue when returning to their home country.

Scholarship encourages international education, global improvement

The Wisconsin Idea—the notion that the education taking place here at UW-Madison can and should reach beyond campus and serve the state, nation and world—aims to take on a greater global role with the launch of the new King-Morgridge Scholars program.

Acceptance criteria for the program include high-achieving academics, motivation for education and financial need, according to International Division Chief of Staff Marianne Bird Bear.

The program, which is set to begin in the fall of 2017, will award four-year scholarships to six international students from Africa, Latin America, the Caribbean, Southeast Asia and South Asia, according to university officials.

According to Director of Communications for the International Division Steve Barcus, the students receiving the scholarships will attend UW-Madison to pursue their own academic careers while also focusing on the realms of global poverty and development.

“This is really the Wisconsin Idea in practice, that we’re taking the knowledge and resources of the university to benefit those outside of the university,” Barcus said.

Resources include internships, first-year interest groups and service learning in addition to collaborating with UW-Madison alumni experts in these fields. According to Bird Bear, students may also be able to collaborate with UW-Madison researchers working in or near their home countries.

“The donors’ wish is that students will return to their home countries to launch careers that will address societal issues, specifically poverty,” Bird Bear said.

The program is being funded by a $36 million donation by Robert and Dorothy King and John and Tashia Morgridge. Bird Bear said the program is based on a similar program established by the King family at Dartmouth College.

“It is an area that is close, personally, to these families. They see [the program] as a way to really improve situations internationally and develop these students into global leaders,” Barcus said.

Barcus said the program will also benefit the general UW-Madison community by offering all students exposure to and interaction with countries and cultures that are not as represented on campus.

“I think it’s a great benefit to all of our students on campus to have a different perspective that’s not as represented on campus,” Bird Bear said. “I think everybody wins from learning from people with different points of view and different knowledge.”