Nancy and Ab Nicholas made a $50 million matching contribution to UW-Madison in 2015. 

Nicholas match raises $100 million to support UW-Madison scholarship programs

Nancy Nicholas and Albert “Ab” Nicholas made one of the largest donations in UW-Madison’s history, a $50 million matching gift, in June 2015 with the goal of encouraging other donors to contribute to the university.

When the match finished last December, four months after Ab Nicholas died, it raised about $100 million, according to university officials.

“The Nicholases have truly transformed the landscape of the university, physically and otherwise,” said Chancellor Rebecca Blank. “This scholarship matching gift adds to their legacy and will change the lives of hundreds of future students at UW–Madison.”

More than 250 donors contributed to the match, which will support scholarships in all of the university’s schools and colleges. The donations will be invested in the UW Foundation’s endowment and will generate about $4.5 million in scholarship funds per year, according to university officials.

“It would be impossible to overstate the impact that the Nicholas family has had on this university,” said Mike Knetter, president and CEO of University of Wisconsin Foundation. “Our university won’t be the same without Ab’s presence, but his legacy will endure here forever.”