Gov. Scott Walker sent a letter to the NFL Monday urging players to “stop their protests during the anthem and move on from what has become a divisive political sideshow.”

Walker calls on legislature to expand rural broadband

Gov. Scott Walker announced Thursday his plan to expand the broadband program in rural areas, and proposed a bill to the state Legislature providing $35 million for the expansion.

Rural areas of Wisconsin are experiencing large deficits in access to high-speed internet, especially among seniors and agricultural and small businesses. About 20 percent of Wisconsin residents are underserved by the state’s broadband coverage, according to the state.

The expansion is constructed to tap into the unused potential of rural areas that have been limited by inability to access internet, Walker said.

“This legislation helps expand broadband access for areas in need as we work towards building an infrastructure where every community is able to connect to fast and reliable internet,” Walker said in a statement.

The money from the proposed bill would fund both Broadband and TEACH grants to increase internet access. TEACH is a program designed to provide money for improving technology in schools and libraries. It also helps train teachers on technology use, particularly in rural areas.

The $35 million comes from a surplus in the Universal Service Fund, which provides aid for telecommunications needs, and would be distributed over the next three fiscal years.

Walker said the bill would help the state’s economy compete on a national and global scale.

“The proposed legislation we’re asking the Legislature to act on triples the state’s broadband and technology investments and it will allow Wisconsin communities, especially in rural areas, to compete for jobs, improve education, and provide a higher quality of life,” he said.