Baldwin, Pocan call for policy action as Trump prepares to take office

U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis., urged President-elect Donald Trump to carry through on campaign appeals to the middle class by keeping Wall Street elites out of his cabinet in a Thursday letter.

“You have made a promise to ‘drain the swamp’ in Washington by reducing the influence of special interests in government and expressed deep concerns about the influence of Wall Street over government,” Baldwin wrote. “The people of Wisconsin cannot afford to have insiders in the pocket of Wall Street writing the rules and making a rigged system worse.”

The letter emphasized Trump’s speeches against government corruption that fueled his campaign. It referred to his closing argument, in which he said Washington and Wall Street “rigged the rules of the game against everyday Americans.”

Baldwin expressed specific concern over his rumored Secretary of Treasury pick, Steven Mnuchin, a hedge fund CEO and former vice president of Goldman Sachs.

“In particular, it is critical that the Treasury Secretary pick have a background in taking on excessive risk-taking and misconduct by Wall Street banks; not in leading financial institutions that have harmed working Americans,” Baldwin wrote.

Baldwin cited her 2015 Financial Services Conflict of Interest Act, encouraging Trump to adopt reforms on conflicts of interest in government when making White House appointments.

U.S. Rep. Mark Pocan, D-Wis., also responded to the looming Trump presidency, calling on President Barack Obama Friday to protect undocumented immigrants enrolled in the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals and Deferred Action for Parents of Americans and Lawful Permanent Residents programs.

“Undocumented immigrants trusted that when they enrolled in the DACA and DAPA programs, they would be able to live and work legally without fear of deportation,” Pocan said. “However, President-elect Trump continues to make sweeping claims about dismantling these programs and deporting families who have been living and working in the United States for years.”