Corey Clement attempts to evade a defender during UW's 21-7 victory over Northwestern. 

Badgers win at Northwestern for first time since 1999

It was not a pretty win, but the Wisconsin Badgers (4-2 Big Ten, 7-2 Overall) held off the Northwestern Wildcats (3-3, 4-5) for a 21-7 victory in Evanston, Ill.

Wisconsin’s offense struggled to finish drives throughout the game, frequently ending up in Northwestern territory without touchdowns to show for it. Redshirt junior wide receiver Jazz Peavy took an end-around handoff 46-yards to give the Badgers their only touchdown in the first half. Senior running back Corey Clement punched it in halfway through the fourth quarter to pull away on the scoreboard.

The Badgers never really felt in control in the game, in part because of some shaky moments from their previously stout defense. Wisconsin shut down the Wildcats’ rushing attack, but redshirt sophomore quarterback Clayton Thorson had plenty of success moving the ball through the air.

As has been the story this season, the Badgers’ defense stepped up when they were needed most, shutting Northwestern out in the second half and only allowing seven points on a late first-half drive by the Wildcats.

Still, it wasn’t a performance to write home about on either side of the ball, especially for a Wisconsin team coming off a win over a Top-10 opponent last week. They got the victory though, and really, that’s all that matters for the Badgers in the hunt for the Big Ten West. Wisconsin will know more about its fate in the conference race after tonight, as Nebraska has the tall task of facing Ohio State in Columbus.