Attendees respond to Trump’s victory at viewing parties

The UW-Madison campus hosted watch parties for attendees of all party affiliations to observe as the results came in for the elections, which resulted in Donald Trump being named president elect of the United States.

UW-Madison College Republicans held a viewing at Brickhouse BBQ that ended in celebration.

As Trump racked up more red states throughout the night, hopeful Republicans began to see an outcome they initially believed unattainable.

“I was starting to think that it’s becoming a lot more real,” Lyndsay Schmitt, College Republicans’ outreach director, said. “I didn’t really think that it would be possible, but now that it’s happening, it’s kind of hitting me a little bit, but still not feeling real yet.”

Some Republicans, such as College Republicans Vice Chair Jake Lubenow, supported Trump because of the values of his party, not necessarily the candidate himself. For Carly Weigel, also a member of College Republicans, the choice to align was a bit more drastic.

“You have to make sacrifices, I guess, just to be aligned with your beliefs,” Weigel said. Her sacrifice: “voting for Trump. It’s a sacrifice in the sense that people are going to judge you for who you vote for.”

Wisconsin Union Directorate Society and Politics hosted a non-partisan viewing at the Marquee Theater in Union South.

The audience was in a state of disbelief as Trump’s lead grew. Most of the audience supported Clinton and were taken aback at the early lead that Trump secured. As the results came in, the crowd was even more surprised at the lead Trump maintained.

“I thought that it would be very close, but with Hillary leading the whole time and Trump probably creeping up, I had no idea that it would be flipped with Trump having such a large lead,” Lizzie Scantz, a UW-Madison sophomore and Clinton voter, said.“I thought Wisconsin would turn more blue than it would, based on what I’ve heard on social media and on campus. I feel like I’m gonna puke."

When Trump was announced as president elect, attendees expressed their thoughts verbally and through tears.

UPDATE Nov. 9, 12:19 p.m. This article was updated to clarify misleading information about the candidate an interviewee voted for.