Even with a regular season title in hand, Baylee Wellhausen and the Badgers are looking to sweep Minnesota this weekend

Wellhausen scores twice in four minutes to lead No. 1 Badgers past Minnesota State

Behind two key goals from junior forward Baylee Wellhausen, top-ranked Wisconsin (7-0-1 WCHA, 9-0-1 overall) beat Minnesota State (0-7-1, 2-7-1) Saturday by a score of 3-1 to sweep the weekend series.

“It felt really good to get the win today,” Wellhausen told UWBadgers.com. “It was definitely a battle, I think that the team pulled together and pulled off the win and it feels more victorious when you have such a battle like that.”

After a scoreless first period, Minnesota State grabbed the first lead, scoring a three-on-one goal in the second period. The Badgers responded to tie the game, thanks to senior defenseman Mellissa Channell’s first goal of the season.

Wellhausen gave UW its first lead of the day after slapping in her own rebound past Mavericks goalie Brianna Quade. Three minutes later, Wellhausen capped off the Badgers excellent second period, rifling another shot past Quade for her second goal.

“The momentum really shifted early in the second period as we really started to capitalize on our opportunities,” head coach Mark Johnson said. “Baylee’s second goal was a really nice goal, she used her speed and kept her feet moving and it certainly gave us some big momentum.”

The Badgers were unable to add on to their lead in the third period, despite outshooting MSU 12-3. Senior goalie Ann-Renée Desbiens stopped 13 of 14 she faced in the game.

Saturday’s game marked the end of a long, six-game road stretch for Wisconsin.

“It’s tough playing on the road, especially when you don’t get many fans so it’s kind of tough to create your own energy on the bench,” Channell said. “I’m happy to be back at LaBahn next weekend.”

Added Johnson: "The kids played well and hard. We’re missing a few people this weekend but the kids got an opportunity and played extremely well. Now we’ve got an extra day of rest before the Saturday and Sunday series, and then a weekend off. We’re getting better which is the most important thing.”

The Badgers return home to LaBahn Arena to face No. 10 Bemidji State November 5 and 6.