Crystal Potts, a UW-Madison alumna, was selected as the university’s next director of state relations.

University Relations selects new director of state relations

UW-Madison’s University Relations announced its next director of state relations Tuesday.

Beginning in November, Crystal Potts will replace Matt Kussow, who left the position this summer. Potts, an alumna of the university, will bring her experience to advance the school’s priorities.

In her years at UW-Madison, Potts studied political science and Chinese. Since graduating in 2010, Potts has gained familiarity with the legislative process from serving as a clerk in the state Assembly and as former chief of staff under Wisconsin state Sen. Howard Marklein.

Under Marklein, Potts was involved with the Joint Finance Committee, in which Marklein and his colleagues review Gov. Scott Walker’s budget proposal before it is presented to the full legislature.

Members of the University Relations team praised Potts’s appointments. Assistant Vice Chancellor for Government and Corporate Relations Ben Miller said her “bicameral experience” will be valuable to the development of the upcoming budget.