Stir up your typical java with Madison’s coffee scene

Joe has many names. Some say java, others affectionately call it mud, but most just say coffee. Regardless of the name, for many of us running hectic lives on this bustling campus, it’s the only thing that gets us out of bed in the morning.

In honor of last week’s coffee day, WalletHub put together a list of the best cities for coffee-lovers to call home in 2016. Madison took eighth among a list of 50 major metropolitan cities across the nation—not too shabby.

The cities were judged based on factors like affordability of a cappuccino, number of coffee shops per capita, average amount of coffee makers per home and other components.

In Madison the coffee shops to stop at vary from larger chains like Starbucks, Colectivo and Espresso Royale to smaller joints like Fair Trade CoffeeHouse, Michelangelo's Coffee House and Coffeebytes.

Whether you pair your cup of joe with cream, sugar, fancy toppings like nutmeg and cinnamon, or you are a kindred soul who prefers your java darker than the midnight sky, Madison has a coffee scene that welcomes you. So take the time to explore all of the nooks and crannies and try a new coffee drink other than your regular order.