Peavy’s smooth hands help Badgers glide past Zips at the Camp

Saturday was a day full of impressive individual efforts leading to overall team dominance, as the Wisconsin Badgers defeated the Akron Zips 54-10. When trying to pick a MVP from a game like the Badgers’ victory over Akron, one can more or less just choose a name at the top of any positional breakdown and one wouldn’t necessarily be wrong. Corey Clement’s first 100-yard-plus performance in a long while, Bart Houston’s 92.5 quarterback rating, nearly the entire defense—all would be legitimate selections as the most valuable performance in the Badgers’ win.

All Badgers fans remember what should have been Jazz “Hands” Peavy’s first touchdown reception in his UW career. It was the would-have-been game-winner versus Northwestern last season that the referees deemed an incomplete pass, stating that Peavy did not maintain control through the process of the reception. As disheartening as it was for UW fans across the world, no one was left more distraught than Peavy.

He might have given us a window into his feelings with his most recent Instagram post from after Saturday’s game.

“Someone up there must just love testing my patience,” Peavy’s post read. “Someone up there must be in need of some entertainment.”

Well, his patience paid off and it was beyond entertaining as he earned this week’s MVP.

Peavy found pay dirt for his first collegiate score on a 13-yard touchdown reception from Bart Houston. It already was a memorable day for the wide receiver affectionately known as “Jazz Hands,” and it wasn’t even close to over. Peavy added another notch to his touchdown belt on a 34-yard punch over the middle between two defenders. Houston managed to fit the ball in a tight window between the cornerback and the safety, allowing Peavy to come down with it cleanly and score six for the Badgers.

Peavy ended the day with seven receptions for 100 yards, two touchdowns and even a 23-yard carry.  His 123 total yards gave him the most all-purpose yards on the field on Saturday. It looks like this is just the start of what Jazz has to offer.