NCAA Tournament Preview: No. 1 seed Kansas

After capturing their 12th consecutive conference championship with a victory over West Virginia in the Big 12 title game, the top-ranked Kansas Jayhawks (15-3 Big 12, 30-4 overall) enter the NCAA tournament as the No. 1 overall seed.

En route to posting the best record in the country, the Jayhawks rattled off 14 straight wins despite playing the second toughest schedule in the nation. During this hot streak, Kansas has prevailed against six opponents ranked inside the top 25, including No. 6 Oklahoma and No. 9 West Virginia.

Although lacking the superstar power of years past, Kansas head coach Bill Self, recognized as the 2016 National Coach of Year, has successfully assembled one of the most well-balanced and experienced teams in college basketball. Behind rock-solid play from standout senior forward Perry Ellis (16 points per game) and steady contributions from junior guards Wayne Selden Jr. and Frank Mason III, both averaging near 13 points per contest, the KU offense has proven itself as one of the nation’s most prolific, scoring 81 points per game, the 16th highest mark amongst all major conferences.

The Jayhawks’ defensive prowess is worth noting as well. Known for its athleticism and agility, the Kansas defense was on full display in the conference title fight this past Saturday, as it forced West Virginia into a whopping 20 turnovers, a number that would make all the difference in a relatively close, 10-point win.

While Kansas features over a dozen upperclassmen on its roster, it may very well be sophomore guard Devonte’ Graham who separates Kansas from the rest of the field. Graham has been a consistent double-digit scoring threat all season, but his true playmaking potential didn’t come to fruition until just recently. In the Big 12 championship, Graham exploded onto the scene and led the way for Kansas, finishing the night with 27 points, five rebounds, four assists and three steals on his way to earning MVP honors. In order for Kansas to see its title aspirations through to the end, players who played relatively small roles must step up and elevate their game in the tournament, and it shouldn’t come as a surprise to see Graham do just that.While this year’s Jayhawks have all the makings of a championship team, the University of Kansas is a school that has become notorious for frequently falling short in the month of March. Most recently, Self saw his tournament run end at the regional stage in each of the last two seasons. Grouped in a particularly formidable South Region, the Jayhawks need to find a way to get over the hump to make their title hopes a reality.