Madison creates racial equity position to oversee city, community policies

The City of Madison added Toriana Pettaway as the city’s first racial equity coordinator Friday.

The new position aims to aid Madison in creating recommendations for the implementation of various equity reports. These include the 2013 Racial Equity and Social Justice Initiative, which focuses on creating more racially aware policies in city legislation, operations and the community.

“We are delighted to have someone with Toriana’s background and extensive experience to serve as the City’s Racial Equity Coordinator,” said Madison Mayor Paul Soglin in a Friday statement. “She will be engaged with City staff, Alders, and stakeholders throughout Madison. Her expertise will be a guide for the City’s Racial Equity and social Justice Initiative.”

Soglin’s 2016 operating budget transfers the position from the Department of Civil Rights to the mayor’s office “to emphasize the city-wide priority of the initiative,” according to the budget, which Soglin released last week. The budget currently lists Pettaway’s salary at just over $62,000.

According to the release, Pettaway has more than 15 years of experience in human resources, strategic planning and data analysis.

Pettaway previously worked as the project manager with the Nehemiah Center for Urban Leadership Development, a nonprofit that works to aid African-American youth in areas of leadership and economic development.

Pettaway also worked as a part-time faculty instructor at the office of Diversity and Community Relations at Madison Area Technical College.

Pettaway holds a master’s degree in business management from Cardinal Stritch University.