entranceoflangdon.jpg

Entrance of Langdon Street is photographed on Oct. 4, 2023. 

MPD investigates death after fire department finds female in Lake Mendota early Friday

MPD is actively investigating this case.

Content warning: This article contains sensitive information.

The Madison Police Department (MPD) is investigating a death after the Madison Fire Department’s lake rescue team responded to reports of a person yelling for help in the water of Lake Mendota around 4:30 a.m. Friday. 

Witnesses heard calls for help behind Iota Court near Langdon Street, according to a report from the Madison Fire Department.

The female was found 70 yards from the shore and 30 yards from the pier, according to WKOW. The patient was brought to shore and transported to UW Hospital.

Those with information or videos related to the incident can contact MPD’s non-emergency line at (608) 255-2345. 

Student support and community resources are available via University Health Services’ crisis line at (608) 265-5600, option 9.

Editor’s Note: this article was updated at 12:21 p.m. on Friday, April 26, 2024. 

Noe Goldhaber

Noe Goldhaber is the college news editor and former copy chief for the Daily Cardinal. She is a statistics major and has reported on a wide range of campus issues. Follow her on Twitter at @noegoldhaber.