Volleyball, football come home

Volleyball

The Badgers (5-1) had a big weekend, defeating two very tough opponents in North Carolina (1-4), an elite eight team last season, and Louisville.

Still, the Badgers are looking forward to another packed weekend coming up, both on and off the court.

UW is hosting Georgia (4-3), Kent State (4-3) and Georgetown (2-4) in the Badger Classic Tournament, with Wisconsin facing Georgia Friday and Kent State Saturday.

Not only will this weekend play host to the other competitors, but 56 former coaches and alum- nus will be at the UW Field House to celebrate the 20-year anniver- sary of Wisconsin’s first Big Ten title. Highlighting the evening is

Georgia head coach and former Badger player Lizzy Stemke, who will be inducted into the Badger Hall of Fame Saturday after the tournament concludes.

Meanwhile, Sheffield’s team is dedicated to improving, which creates optimism for both the immediate and long-term future.

“This group in the offseason has worked harder than any other group I have had in twenty years of coaching, and it’s not even close,” Sheffield said.

Football

After losing to Alabama in week one of the college football season, the Badgers (0-1) look forward to rebounding in their home opener on Saturday against Miami (OH) (1-0).

“We have a chance to be a good team ourselves,” Chryst said of the coming week. “As long as we build on and improve in certain areas.”

Many players on the Badger roster saw their first game action last week, including redshirt freshman guard Michael Deiter, sophomore safety D’Cota Dixon and redshirt freshman linebacker T.J. Edwards.

“It’s the essence of a season,” Chryst said. “We hope that we are always a team that is growing and getting better.”

In the week of practice to come, the Badgers are focused on eliminating missed tackles on defense, healing some of their star players like redshirt senior safety Michael Caputo and junior running back Corey Clement and getting ready to return to Camp Randall Stadium.

“You feel really lucky when you can call Camp Randall home,” Chryst said. “It’s an exciting place to play.”