SSFC

Student Services Finance Committee Representative Callen Ravaret said the Campus Women's Center's educational events and campaigns are beneficial to the organization.

SSFC approves Campus Women’s Center eligibility, hears from Working Class Student Union

Student Services Finance Committee approved funding eligibility for the Campus Women’s Center at its meeting Thursday.

The CWC, which presented to the finance group earlier this week, is a student organization aimed at tackling oppressions many individuals who identify as women face, as well as serve as a resource on campus.

While select representatives expressed initial concern on whether or not the organization established clear core and supportive programming, the committee ultimately decided its educational events—such as tabling and engagement sessions—fulfill the funding requirements.

SSFC representative Callen Raveret cited the group’s numerous education events and campaigns as a benefit to the organization. He also said he felt the center succeeded in differentiating itself from other resources on campus.

The committee voted 9-0 with one abstention in favor of granting the group eligibility.

SSFC members also heard an eligibility presentation from the president and financial director of the Working Class Student Union.

WCSU President Pablo Montes said the organization’s mission is to provide support for first generation, working class, non-traditional, and transfer students.

“We advocate for the students,” Montes said. “We support them, we listen to them.”

Aside from establishing a safe, diverse space on campus, the organization offers counseling and education sessions to promote awareness for diversity in a higher education setting.

WCSU also has several advocacy programs scheduled throughout the year and helps students facing academic and financial issues, according to Montes.

“We as a staff are available whenever [students] need us,” Montes said.

SSFC will meet again Sept. 22 to decide on WCSU’s eligibility.