Rec Sports director updated on master plan

John Horn, Director of the Division of Recreational Sports, updated Student Services Finance Committee on the progression of the Rec Sports Master Plan at a meeting Monday.

In the Associated Students of Madison spring election, students voted to pass the Rec Sports Master Plan referendum, which included the construction of a new South East Recreational Facility, Natatorium, Near West and Near East Playfields.

This referendum was based on how students wanted to spend their money, according to Horn.

The Board of Regents approved the budget for the Near West Playfield, where students can play flag football and intramural softball. Currently, the goal is to complete the playfield by Fall 2016.

According to Horn, the selection of an engineer and architect should occur within the next month by the department of administration at the state Capitol.

Horn said the organizers will start on the actual project as soon as the facility design begins.

Since the referendum passed, the University of Wisconsin-Madison Athletic Department requested a competition pool with a 10-meter diving platform with spectator seating in the SERF, which the athletic department plans to help fund. Rec Sports will present the SERF budget Dec. 14 to the Board of Regents.

The Division of Rec Sports commits to their promise of high-quality programs and student engagement.

“We want to make sure that across the entire campus, we get students involved in this entire plan getting their feedback,” Horn said. “We have started the process to form our own student committees within Rec Sports.”

Also in the meeting, SSFC granted F.H. King eligibility as a General Student Services Fund group. F.H. King is an organization that establishes a relationship between land, food and community, according to its website.

Some SSFC representatives were concerned with the organization’s core program, Harvest Handouts, and the interns’ role in the organization. SSFC approved the group’s eligibility with one opposing vote.

SSFC also heard the Campus Women’s Center’s eligibility presentation. The CWC provides workshops, experiential learning opportunities for students as well as events and services for student parents.

SSFC will decide on their eligibility Thursday.