Football: Three Badgers taken in Day 3 of NFL Draft

Day Three of the 2014 National Football League Draft brought fortune to three Badgers, who will all continue their football careers with 2013 playoff teams.

James White, Patriots, 130th pick

After completing one of the most unassumingly great careers in college football history, Badgers running back James White is headed to Foxborough. The New England Patriots drafted the Fort Lauderdale native with the 30th pick of the fourth round, 130th overall.

While he was never perceived as the No. 1 running back for the Badgers, White recorded more than 700 yards every single year he played. For his college career, White recorded 4015 yards and averaged 6.24 yards per carry. Those 4015 yards rank fourth all-time in Wisconsin history, while the 6.24 YPC is fifth best in Big Ten history.

White lead the Badgers in rushing yards his freshman year with 1052 on the way to winning the 2010 Big Ten Freshman of the Year award. His career high in yards came in 2013, racking up 1444 yards while splitting carries with sophomore Melvin Gordon.

The Patriots are known for using a running back committee, meaning that White should be able to challenge for carries almost immediately in one of the best offenses in football.

Jared Abbrederis, Packers, 176th pick

From walk-on scout team quarterback to NFL wide receiver, Jared Abbrederis’ college odyssey is complete. The incredibly productive wide receiver was selected by the hometown Green Bay Packers with the 36th, and final, pick of the fifth round, 176th overall.

The Wautoma native will leave a legacy in Madison as one of the greatest receivers in school history, tied for the school record in receptions with 201 and second in both receiving yards, 3,140, and touchdown receptions, 23.

Abbrederis came into the team without a scholarship, and declined to receive one his sophomore year so it could be given to Russell Wilson. This all came full circle when he was awarded the 2013 Burlsworth Trophy as the best former walk-on in college football. He was also selected as first team All-Big Ten and Academic All-Big Ten.

As a draft prospect, Abbrederis’ hands and route running were widely lauded, while his sub-200 pound frame was seen as a major weakness. The receiver was also hurt by only managing four bench press reps at the NFL combine. He will likely see most of his time as a slot receiver to negate his size and strength disadvantage.

This is the Packers’ first Badger draftee since 2001. Abbrederis will now join Randall Cobb and Jordy Nelson to receive passes from Aaron Rodgers, a prospect the Wisconsin lifer is probably more than okay with.

Beau Allen, Eagles, 224th pick

Beau Allen, the Badgers’ big man with big hair and big personality, is headed to Pennsylvania. The Philadelphia Eagles selected the massive nose tackle with the ninth pick of the seventh round, 224th overall.

The Minnetonka native was a consistent rock for the Badger defense, particularly when defensive coordinator Dave Aranda morphed the unit into his 3-4 scheme. Allen played the part of the beefy, two-gap nose tackle required to anchor the unorthodox scheme, and did it admirably when it's considered he had never played that position before.

Allen never missed a game with the Badgers, playing in all 54 opportunities of his career. He was a three-time academic All-Big Ten selection and twice honorable mention All-Big Ten.

In the draft process, Allen was recognized for his impressive strength and burst. He recorded 30 repetitions on the 225-pound bench press and his ten-yard split of 1.68 seconds was surprisingly good for a 330-pounder.

Under new head coach Chip Kelly, the Eagles switched to the 3-4 scheme last year and will likely look for Allen to develop into the two-gap role he filled at Wisconsin. Any laughs that come from @Beau_Allen will just be extra.