Vote yes for new ASM constitution

If you have not voted in the Associated Students of Madison elections, take this as your last second reminder. Read some of the statements and take part, because the people you elect are in control of your dollars and deserve your scrutiny. Pick wisely and take more than 30 seconds to make your decision.

Now that bit of preachiness is over, it is time to get on the soapbox and talk about the proposed new ASM constitution. The changes in the new constitution will simplify the process for student organizations to get funded, create cohesion between the different student governments on campus and make the general workings of ASM simpler. Needless to say, this board hopes students vote to pass the new version of the constitution.

One of the things ASM needs to do well is dole out student funds to organizations. This requires the representatives to be competent—nay knowledgeable and fluent—in topics of budgeting and finance. Currently, Student Council can overturn finance committee recommendations, and because of the little training Student Council has, this can end up wasting money. Take for example the case of Student Council increasing UW-Homecoming’s funding on the request of student pressure only to see much of the money not used. This wastes student funds and takes away funding from other groups.

The new constitution would lessen the chance of this by putting all financial powers in the hands of an appropriations branch. These students would be highly trained and will lead to better spending of student funds. This would also help student organizations by taking away the more political aspects of funding by reserving all decisions to one, appropriately trained body rather than an overly politicized body such as student council.

Besides funding, this constitution is beneficial because it would give all student governments on campus visibility in ASM. Yes, there is more than one student council on our campus, and the fact that many students do not know that is why this constitution should be passed. Under the new constitution, all student government presidents would have a say, along with popularly elected officials, in ASM. This would allow students from the medical, lettters and science, business and  other schools to have the voice they deserve in ASM. If the presidents choose to use their ability to voice their opinions in the potentially new student senate, it could allow them to improve their respective schools even more than they could now.

There are other changes, like a president’s council that would unite student leaders. This is important as well, and it follows the general trend of making student leaders organize their communication better to eventually make smarter decisions.  

The changes proposed are modest, but effective. Students would still be able to get groups funded. There would be changes, and they would only help students. Funding would just be easier and less politicized. It would increase the ability for other, lesser-known governments to have a say. Take the time to read the constitution when you vote—you are going to vote right?—and see for yourself. This constitution is a modest change, but vastly needed to improve the way our student government works.

Please send all feedback to opinion@dailycardinal.com.