Brazil spices up Cabana Room

Cabana Burger: The Cabana Room, 240 W. Gilman St., showcases exotic cuisine but also puts a twist on the average meal with dishes like the Cabana Burger, which is topped with avocado and bacon.

Brazil spices up Cabana Room

Those looking for a simple yet exotic date spot need not go far. Cabana Room, 240 W. Gilman St., serves up light Brazilian cuisine perfect for a quick lunch or romantic dinner. 

Upon entering the pueblo-influenced building, patrons are given the option to head upstairs to either Samba Brazilian Grill, the sister restaurant known for its hearty two-course feast of assorted greens and meat, or enter the relaxed atmosphere of Cabana Room. 

Cabana Room's décor is straightforward: bold-colored walls accentuated by dim lighting, a single piece of modern art and a framed map of South America.  

At first the menu seemed sparse and simple, but the meals turned out to be filling and full of flavor. The root vegetable stew is a hodg podge of vegetables including sweet potato and yucca, with fried plantain chips sprinkled on top as an added touch. The stew carries a nice pungent aroma when brought out to the table and is a tasty mix of Brazilian flavors. 

If you are hesitant to plunge into exotic tastes, the Cabana Burger is a safe first attempt. The beef patty is cooked to perfection, both savory and juicy and topped with avocado, carmelized shallot, bacon and cabrales. The sauce also contains a sweet, smoky taste.  

Other menu items, such as sandwiches and wraps, are lighter on the stomach. The Cheese, Pesto & Tomato sandwich is a superb vegetarian dish served after being brick pressed on a grill. The Shrimp & Avocado Wrap is a healthy option, with arugula, red onion, sprouts and mango mustard complimenting the shrimp.  

The Niswa Sashimi Tuna Wrap is offered as a special. The rawness of the tuna matches well with the crisp lettuce, bitter olives and feta cheese. However, the cheese and olives overpower the tuna at times.  

The tuna wrap and the shrimp wrap are both tasty, but could have been better put together. The ingredients are not evenly mixed in the tortilla, as the abundance of greens in the middle separates the seafood from the other flavoring ingredients. 

The entrées all come with a side of chimichurri dipping sauce, which looks like a disgusting puree of greenness. Fortunately, the herby citrus taste of chimichurri is pleasantly tangy, good enough for one to bypass the sauce's unappealing aesthetic. 

In addition to the chimichurri sauce, the entrées come with a choice of side: fries, salad or rice and beans. The salad is lightly dressed with a mango vinaigrette, which contains a sweet tang. The rice is topped with black beans, joined together by melted cheese. 

Cabana Room also offers a variety of drinks with its own espresso bar full of coffees and tea, plus an ample selection of wines and beers from around the globe. The mixed drinks can be pricey, ranging from $6-$8. 

The service was exceptional. Servers were prompt for the most part and especially courteous. The relaxed atmosphere and the clear-cut menu make Cabana Room an appropriate place to try something new and have great conversation at the same time, whether among a group of friends or on an intimate date.