Conway goes for goal on and off the field

When Kelly Conway began playing soccer when she was five years old, she did not want to be a goalie. Perhaps it would be difficult for the little girl who wanted to play in the field to see herself as a woman holding the record for saves at UW. 

\She's an awesome keeper, and we're definitely going to miss her next season,"" junior forward Jenny ""JK"" Kundert said. 

It is understandable that Kundert would have such high regards for Conway. So far this season, UW (3-2-2 Big Ten, 7-5-3 overall) has been more than stingy on defense. Of the Badgers' five losses, none were by more than one goal, adding to the praise of Conway. 

""A lot of people don't have this competitive drive, you can just look in [Conway's] eyes and see it,"" Kundert said. ""She always wants to stop the ball, or she always wants to get it out, or do the best she can. She never gives up, and that's why she is so great at what she does."" 

Head Coach Dean Duerst echoed Conway's resilience.  

""She's always been very fit coming in, she's one of the most fit players on this team. [Conway's] always established her presence from day one here. Her intensity and focus in practice make her a gamer."" 

While most UW students head home for the summer or take up lame summer jobs to pay for the upcoming semester, Conway stuck around Madison to keep up her conditioning that distinguishes her as an incredible athlete. 

""This is pretty much my home, our strength and conditioning coach is here, our weight room is here. It's just a lot easier to train if you're here,"" Conway said. 

Conway's high school team was always very competitive, something that she thinks made her ready to handle playing at the college level. When she first came to Wisconsin, Conway split time in goal for the first six games. 

""At halftime [of Conway's first collegiate game] our coach was like: 'Kelly get warmed up!' and I'm just like 'Oh my God!' I was so scared, but I adapted pretty quickly,"" Conway said. 

Conway has kept adapting to the point where she is a fearless leader and intimidating presence on the field. These attributes have made admirers out of many people that are fortunate enough to see her play.  

""She's just improved in all aspects of goalkeeping: distribution, high balls, shot-saving, break always, coming out and making the big ugly save when you need to,"" Duerst said. 

While soccer surely must be the focus of Conway's life, there is more to her than big saves, big kicks and big games. As an accounting major, Conway was offered an internship with Ernst & Young in Chicago. She also plays on a co-ed flag football team.  

Whether it is singing along to Whitney Houston with teammate junior defender Lindsay Chavez or making a spectacular save on the soccer pitch, Conway has displayed the characteristics of a talented soccer player and human being.