by Haleigh Amant

Daily Cardinal
OPINION

Dove beauty ads bring strength to women

“The idea of beauty is our own to conceptualize,” is what we hear at the end of one of Dove’s “Real Beauty” ads. For those of you who have not yet seen these ads, let me enlighten you on a particularly important one. This most recent ad is an extremely moving “Real Beauty Sketches” video in which well respected forensic artist, Gil Zamora, sketches a series of women who are hidden behind a curtain. The first sketch drawn is based on each woman’s description of her physical appearance. The second sketch, however, is based on a stranger’s descriptions of these women. The point of this social experiment is to show women they are too hard on themselves. Later in the video, you see the stranger’s descriptions create much more realistic and “beautiful” sketches of each of the women. As the sketches are revealed to each of the women, they realize the impact their negative self image has on the sketches. Warning: This may induce tears, especially if you are one of many women who suffers from having a poor self-image.

Daily Cardinal
OPINION

Boston bombing should prompt unity, not racial violence

It’s not over. Although the second suspect of the Boston bombing has been captured and the first suspect is dead, we have a long way to go to recover from this most recent tragedy properly. The 19-year-old second suspect was found bloodied, hiding in a boat after an exhausting and intense manhunt.  It is great he was captured, but now the hard work begins, such as determining the brothers’ primary motivations for the bombing.

Daily Cardinal
OPINION

NRA money defeats background check act

What a sad day Wednesday was for American democracy. In a 54-46 vote, the bill to extend background checks to private sales and gun shows failed. It was six votes short. Even with a majority in the Senate, it didn’t pass the 60 votes necessary, which is a whole other issue. Wednesday, we saw money triumph over all. As President Barack Obama said in his speech following the failure to pass the bill, 90 percent of Americans were for this common-sense law. Why? Because it’s common sense! It in no way infringes on our Second Amendment rights and 90 percent of America knew that, even some proud National Rifle Association households. Our democracy—or representative republic—whatever you want to call it, is supposed to be representative of the people and it failed us Wednesday. You would think after the bombing that occurred in Boston, seeing so many Americans suffer and grieve  again, love could triumph over money. You would think seeing people come together in a time of tragedy, you would think, would show the Senate that America isn’t about money. No, the majority of us have our heads and hearts in the right places. Humanity could triumph over money. Well, say good-bye to that, because we just got completely screwed over. I feel like I just stepped into a time machine to an old familiar time when America was run only by the rich, white men. Oh, wait. Nope, I’m still here. We’re still here. And that’s troubling.

Daily Cardinal
OPINION

Bipartisanship still alive in Connecticut

The polls were open last week and it was refreshing to see a “Non-Partisan” on the ballot; however, in a conversation with one of my peers, I was informed that she needed to look up the candidate’s parties before she went to vote so she could vote Democrat across the board. At first, it seemed like a perfectly normal thing to do, but on second thought I began to realize how much I didn’t like that method of voting. I have made the same mistake before. I am a proud Democrat, after all. I came from a Democratic, left-leaning family and I was raised to believe the things the Democrats stand for are right. I guess that is where most of us get our political views, which is fine, unless we close our minds and widen the gap between the parties. If we are at the point where we don’t examine the candidates and what they stand for and instead vote for them simply because they are a Republican or Democrat, we are spoiling the great right that we have to vote and to express our opinions.

Daily Cardinal
OPINION

Binge drinking costly for taxpayers

I am an intern at Health First Wisconsin, and if you read the news last week, you probably heard about the comprehensive report issued by Health First Wisconsin and partners—including the University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute and Wisconsin Partnership Program at the UW School of Medicine and Public Health. The report is the first comprehensive study that outlines the cost of excessive alcohol use in Wisconsin. Put simply: Wisconsin is the guy who is passed out by 9 p.m. with two forties taped to his hands. Ya, that guy. Feel free to roll your eyes with me. Wisconsin is a drunk mess.

Daily Cardinal
OPINION

Media influence on self-image damaging

So for those of you who haven’t heard, a disgruntled Australian mother found her 7-year-old daughter’s “diyet”list. Yes, seven years old, and, yes spelled “diyet.” Here’s my first question: How does a 7-year-old even know what a diet is? I’m impressed with how she got the spelling so close, just one extra y in there! And my second question: Why oh why does a 7-year-old care about a diet? I already knew that society made it extremely difficult for women’s self-esteem, being that I am a woman, but after hearing about this 7-year-old’s diet plan, I realize we really have a long way to go.

Daily Cardinal
OPINION

Yahoo! CEO's move against telecommuting a smart decision

Last week, Marissa Mayer, current CEO of Yahoo!, declared to her Yahoo! employees they were no longer allowed to telecommute, a change to begin June of this year. I was amazed to hear about her bold move to make it mandatory to work in the office, or as the memo, sent by Yahoo!’s human resources head Jackie Reses, actually reads, “We need to be one Yahoo!., and that starts with physically being together.”

More articles »