Softball vs. Indiana-658.jpg

Wisconsin softball drops series against Rutgers

After winning the first game of the series, Wisconsin Badgers softball lost the next two away games against Rutgers.

The Wisconsin Badgers softball team took on the Rutgers Scarlet Knights in New Jersey, ultimately dropping the series with two consecutive losses after a phenomenal 5-2 win on Friday.

Wisconsin dominates in Friday victory

Rutgers started off with the lead in the bottom of the first after various hits off starter Tessa Magnanimo followed by a scoreless second inning. 

During the top of the third, the Rutgers’ outfielders could only backpedal as catcher Hilary Blomberg smoked a three-run home run over the left field wall. The three Badgers finished their trip around the bases to demolish the Scarlet Knights’ lead and jump ahead 3-1. 

After centerfielder Peyton Bannon doubled in the fourth, she stole third following a wild pitch. She eventually plated home thanks to an RBI from infielder Alivia Bark. 

Blomberg, who has a team-leading batting average of .375, put on a power show, with her RBI in the fifth taking pinch runner Marytherese Nevin home for an insurance run. The Knights scored their second and final run in the bottom frame, which was ultimately a break for the Badgers considering the six total base runners throughout the bottom of the fifth and sixth. 

With no errors and only two Badgers striking out throughout the game, Wisconsin started the series off strong. 

Badgers tumble downhill after Friday’s victory

The scoreboard looked quite different on Saturday as the Badgers were overpowered by the Knights 1-12. 

Rutgers took the wheel right away, scoring eleven runs in the first two innings. Wisconsin starting pitcher Shelby Jacobson struck the first two batters of the game out but failed to prevent the proceeding home run and grand slam. 

Without any better luck, Blomberg took over the mound in the second, surrendering three runs and a three-run homer. 

Infielder Fiona Girardot drove outfielder Brooke Kuffel in for Wisconsin’s only run of the game in the third, followed by one final run from Rutgers in the fourth. The game was called in the fifth inning due to the run rule. 

Series win slips away 

Wisconsin lost the last game of the series Sunday in a less dramatic fashion than the previous game, with the final score tallying 4-1. 

Wisconsin immediately started off on the wrong foot, allowing Rutgers to take a 1-0 lead in the first after a triple and an RBI off starter Magnanimo.

Rutgers pushed the score to 4-0 in the third after a back-to-back two-run shot and solo homer. 

The Badgers broke through in the fourth when infielder Skylar Sirdashney hit a dinger over the dead center field wall. However, the scoring ended after that despite multiple threats from the Knights, and Magnanimo — who struck out six in game three — got her team out of a bases-loaded puzzle with the help of Bark, who darted the ball to out a Scarlet Knight sliding home. 

Following the weekend series against Rutgers, Wisconsin sits at 13-22 on the season and 2-7 in the Big Ten. The Badgers will next face the Ohio State Buckeyes in a conference matchup at the Goodman Softball Complex from April 12-14.