Terrace Chair

Free brats, mocktails headline Memorial Terrace reopening celebration Wednesday

With summer around the corner and temperatures in Madison rising, students and community members are heading back to the University of Wisconsin-Madison’s Memorial Union Terrace.

Memorial Union employees removed the chairs in early November for the winter season. But as of Wednesday morning, the famous green, orange and yellow Sunburst chairs are back on the lakeside. 

The Wisconsin Union will mark the occasion with a Terrace opening party from 4-6 p.m. featuring free brats, mocktails, live performances and more. 

With temperatures climbing above 80 degrees Sunday, Bianca Cherry, a UW-Madison freshman, said she is excited for the Terrace reopening.

“I feel like the Memorial Terrace really brings together the different communities,” Cherry said. “It’s one of the points on campus that really separates us from other campuses.”

Another UW-Madison freshman, Nathan Forester, said the Terrace has been an important location for him as he’s transitioned to college. 

“I couldn't be happier about it reopening. It was really nice to have Memorial Union during my first year for good food, study spots or just to hang with friends,” Forester said. Though he’ll be heading back home for the summer, Forester said events at the Terrace would be one of the draws of spending summer in Madison. 

“I really enjoyed all of the live music that I experienced throughout my first year here at the Terrace and would love to experience that during the summer months as well,” Forester said.

Some students said they use the Terrace as not just a meeting spot but as a place to connect with the community.

“The Terrace was one of the reasons I chose Wisconsin,” UW-Madison freshman Michael Dougherty said. “The Terrace has become my comfort spot on campus and it has been a safe space for me all throughout my first year.”

The Sunburst chairs will remain on the Terrace through late fall.