060122-sen-agard-location-portraits-05.jpg

Courtesy of Melissa Agard via https://legis.wisconsin.gov/senate/16/agard

Parisi endorses Melissa Agard for Dane County executive

Dane County Executive Joe Parisi, who will step down in May, threw his support Tuesday behind state Sen. Melissa Agard as she runs to succeed the outgoing executive.

Dane County Executive Joe Parisi endorsed Wisconsin state Sen. Melissa Agard, D-Madison, Monday, a pivotal endorsement in Agard’s bid for his position.

Agard previously served as Senate Minority Leader. She stepped down in late 2023 after announcing her bid to succeed Parisi as county executive.

"I've known Melissa for a number of years and she has always been a tireless and effective leader for our community," Parisi said in a press release. "She is the person I feel is best suited for this job and I am happy to endorse her candidacy."

The county will hold a special election for the position in November. Two candidates — Agard and Madison Ald. Regina Vidaver — are vying for the position. 

Parisi will step down in May, triggering the November special election. Parisi’s successor will serve as county executive through the end of their term in April 2025. 

“Like Joe, I will always stand up for social justice, racial equity, quality public education, environmental protections, and smart economic development,” Agard said. “I am not afraid to take on these challenges and do what’s right for Dane County. I look forward to carrying on his legacy."

Jasper Bernstein

Jasper Bernstein is the Associate News Editor for The Daily Cardinal. Follow him on Twitter at @jasperberns.