vs. New Mexico107.JPG

Badgers QB Myles Burkett enters NCAA transfer portal

The Badgers quarterback announced his intentions to enter the transfer portal.

Wisconsin backup quarterback Myles Burkett announced his intention to enter the NCAA transfer portal Wednesday.

“It is time for me to take on a new challenge and I will be entering the transfer portal with three years of eligibility,” Burkett said on Twitter.

The redshirt freshman from Franklin, Wisconsin played in two games in 2022, completing four of five passes for 84 yards in mop-up duty against New Mexico State. He did not get any playing time in 2023, spending most of the season as the third-string quarterback behind Tanner Mordecai and Braedyn Locke.

Burkett was ranked a three-star recruit by Rivals, 247Sports and ESPN as well as Wisconsin’s AP and Gatorade Player of the Year as a high school senior. He racked up 6,483 yards, 71 touchdowns through the air, and 1,054 yards and 14 touchdowns on the ground in 31 games at Franklin High School, leading the team to a 14-0 record and Wisconsin Division I state title.

Mordecai’s eligibility will run out following Wisconsin’s upcoming bowl game. With four-star recruit Mabrey Mettauer joining the team in 2024 and both Locke and Nick Evers expected to return, Burkett’s odds of seeing playing time were slim.

“It has been a true blessing to be a part of such a special group these past two years,” Burkett said. “I achieved my dream of being a Badger, a goal I set from a young age, and for that I will be forever grateful.”

Burkett is the second Badger to enter the portal following offensive lineman Dylan Barrett’s announcement Wednesday.