Drake White-Bergey Woman Phone Social Media.JPG

Officials prepare for national Wireless Emergency Alert

On Wednesday at 1:20 p.m CST, all phones are set to receive a nationwide emergency alert text.

Wisconsin Emergency Management (WEM) is preparing for a nationwide symphony of phone ringers this Wednesday as the country prepares for its third test of the Wireless Emergency Alert (WEA) system. 

In an effort to ensure preparedness for any unforeseen circumstances, all phones are set to receive a nationwide emergency alert on Oct. 4th at 1:20 p.m CST.  The message will read “This is a test of the National Wireless Emergency Alert System. No action is needed.”

Andrew Beckett, public information officer for WEM, said the objective of the test is to ensure the national WEA system is functioning properly and identify any potential issues.

“This test is just as important as state-level emergency alert tests or the outdoor warning siren tests communities across the state do monthly during severe weather seasons,” Beckett said. “These improve the emergency alert system by ensuring equipment is working properly and raising awareness that these systems exist.”

If students don’t receive an alert on Wednesday, several factors could be responsible. The device may have cell service through a company that does not participate in the national WEA system or the device may not be capable of receiving an alert. A technical issue involving the nearest cell tower could also prevent the message from getting to the device.