capitolhandicapsign1.JPG

Legislature aims to expand disabled parking privileges on UW System campuses

The proposed bill ensures that current disability parking privileges are honored on all University of Wisconsin System campuses.

Republican lawmakers in the state Legislature introduced a bill to expand disabled parking privileges on University of Wisconsin System campuses.

The proposed bill states a person with a disability that limits or impairs their ability to walk may apply for “special motor vehicle registration plates or a special identification card entitling a motor vehicle used by the person to certain parking privileges.” 

Under current law, vehicles bearing these plates or cards are entitled to a legal exemption from meter payments and time limits on municipal parking spots that have at least a 30-minute time limit, bill author Rep. William Penterman, R-Columbus, testified on Sept. 27. 

Penterman is in favor of amending current statutes in place to ensure UW System campuses honor disability identifications issued by the state Department of Transportation. These identifications are special motor vehicle registration plates or an identification card that allot parking privileges. 

The bill passed 87-8 on the Assembly floor in a bipartisan vote. 

“[UW campuses] are able to charge fines for parking in spots that are covered by these legal exemptions if they are located off-campus,” Penterman said. “These potential parking fines create confusion and unnecessary hurdles for disabled individuals, who must get duplicative permits from the campus or receive a ticket.”

Bill co-author Sen. Patrick Testin, R-Stevens Point, testified he was made aware of instances when individuals with disabled plates were ticketed on UW campuses because UW campuses are not required to extend parking privileges to people with disabilities.

Testin said that while many UW campuses already adhere to the spirit of the law, this bill will get rid of the “unnecessary barrier” of the completion of duplicative paperwork.

“I believe this proposal is necessary because our statutes should reflect our values,” Testin said. “The State of Wisconsin and its associated entities should make accommodations to meet the needs of those who are disabled. This legislation takes another step in that direction.” 

The bill has also been endorsed by Disability Rights Wisconsin, a nonprofit that works to protect the rights of people with disabilities statewide. 

Kristin Kerschensteiner, director of Legal Advocacy Service for Disability Rights Wisconsin, told The Daily Cardinal the bill will “level the playing field” for people with disabilities on UW campuses. 

“A lot of times, it’s referred to as a parking privilege, but it takes a little more for someone to be able to have equal access when they have a disability,” Kerschensteiner said. “So walking up Bascom Hill might be no big deal to most students, but it can be a huge barrier for some.” 

Kerschensteiner said “extra measures” must be taken to ensure equitable access. She told the Cardinal the UW System should have to adhere to disability statutes that are required for “little bitty towns and other places around the state.” 

In written testimony on Sept. 27, the UW System Office of Government Relations said many campuses already comply with the current law and that this bill may negatively impact the limited amount of parking stalls available on campus. 

“Many of our campuses already comply with the spirit of the law and allow extended time limits and waive payment for vehicles displaying proper registration plates or identification cards,” the UW System said. 

UW-Madison Transportation Services testified in March that it honors the “spirit” of the current law and allows people disabled plates or place cards to park in metered spaces with time limits over 30 minutes for free. 

The bill passed the Senate Committee on Transportation. It is currently awaiting a Senate floor vote. 

Anna Kleiber

Anna Kleiber is an arts editor for The Daily Cardinal. She also reports on state politics and campus news. Follow her on Twitter at @annakleiber03.