UW Mens Soccer vs Northwestern

Badgers men’s soccer holds on to tie Wolverines

Thomas Raimbault’s second-half goal secured the Badgers’ undefeated Big Ten record against Michigan.

The Badgers men’s soccer team ended their match in a tie against the Michigan Wolverines on Sunday in Ann Arbor thanks to a second-half goal from Wisconsin forward Thomas Raimbault.  

The Badgers have been on a roll lately with an undefeated record in conference play. They came into Sunday’s game after a weeklong break following their big win against Maryland, where the Badgers held the Terrapins scoreless.

Sunday’s game featured the same formula as the Badgers’ other Big Ten games this season — a scoreless half for both teams followed by a scoring second half. But the Wolverines changed that formula with a goal of their own in the first half.

Two Michigan attackers pushed their way into the Wisconsin box in the 41st minute, putting immense pressure on Wisconsin’s goalkeeper Nate Crockford. Crockford blocked the first shot attempt on goal, but the ball rebounded to Michigan midfielder Joa Paulo Ramos, who put the rebound away for the first goal of the game.

Wisconsin had to claw their way back from the 1-0 deficit, and they managed to do so with a goal in the 61st minute by Wisconsin forward Thomas Raimbault. Wisconsin defender Birgir Baldvinsson assisted on the goal after he received the ball on a cross from Maxwell Keenan.

Crockford was put to the test in the 85th minute when Michigan shot the ball from just outside of the box looking for a go-ahead goal, but Crockford ultimately made the save.

The Badgers remain undefeated in Big Ten play with a conference record of 1-0-3 and look to continue their strong start against the No. 13 Michigan State Spartans at home Friday.