UW women's golf wraps up fall schedule in eighth place

elliott: Senior Kate Elliott led the Badgers with a team high 10-over par.

Badger golfers finish 9th at 2023 Badger Invitational

The Wisconsin Badgers golf team placed ninth at the 2023 Badger Golf Invitational. Eighteen schools participated in the tournament, held Oct.1-3, at UW-Madison’s University Ridge Golf Course.

Sunday, October 1

Day one consisted of the first round of the invitational and the first two rounds of the individual tournaments. Wisconsin finished the first day of the invitational shooting an eight-over 296, putting them in 14th place. 

Leading the Badgers in the first round were Blake Wisdom and Cameron Huss, both shooting a 72 (E). Coalter Smith and Jacob Beckman both carded a 76 (+4), and Carter Pitcairn shot an eight-over 80. 

Daniel Aas led the Badgers in the first two individual rounds by shooting a +6 (76-72), putting him in 10th. Finishing out the Badger lineup was James Boustead, finishing 11 over par, followed by Spencer Turntz at 12-over par, Graham Moody at 13-over par, Ryan Smith at 15-over par and McCord Grice at 19-over par.

Monday, October 2

Wisconsin ended day two in 14th place at 14-over par. The team carded a 246 (+6) in the second round of the invitational. 

Jacob Beckman led the badgers, shooting a one-under 71 with five birdies, followed by Blake Wisdom with a one-over 73. Rounding out the Badgers lineup was Huss, shooting a two-over 74, Smith with a four-over 76 and scoring the Badger’s first eagle of the tournament, and Pitcairn with a six-over 78. 

Day two ended with the final for the individual tournament. Graham Moody led Wisconsin, ending round three with a two-over 69 and finishing 11-over par.

Tuesday, October 3

Wisconsin closed out the Badger Invitational tied for ninth place. The Badgers finished the final round with a strong score of 277 (-11). Beckman and Smith each shot a four-under 68, with Beckman scoring an eagle. Huss went three under par, shooting a 69 and scoring five birdies. Wisdom fired a 72, scoring an eagle on hole 16. Pitcairn followed by ending the round with an eight-over 80 and four birdies.

The Badgers golf team began their fall season on Sept. 3 at Erin Hills, where they struggled to find their groove and finished 11th out of 12 teams. They saw an improvement in their Sept. 8th tournament in Tennessee, finishing seventh place out of 14 teams. 

Wisconsin competed most recently in the Windon Memorial Tournament, placing 14th out of 15. Purdue took first at Windon Memorial, finishing 38-under par, marking a new record for the tournament. Wisconsin men’s golf will wrap up their season at the Fallen Oak Collegiate Invitational on Oct. 15-17.