fieldhousemblem.jpeg

Letter to the Editor: Measuring inequality through NIL

NIL exposes underlying inequality between men’s and women’s sports, but this is something we can try to fix.

When the Supreme Court ruled in the summer of 2021 that collegiate athletes could begin profiting from their name, image and likeness (NIL), I was excited. As an incoming Division I cross country and track runner at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, I looked forward to the opportunity to profit from my work. 

Almost immediately after the Supreme Court reached its decision, several athletes created their own brands and began selling merchandise. Our then-quarterback, Graham Mertz, introduced a line of clothing bearing his personal logo. Others monetized workout routines or posed with Pepsi products

I observed a pattern in the athletes who were getting the most media attention and the most profit. Football players — men — topped the list. Statistics proved my observations right. 

Currently, football alone earns 55.1% of total NIL compensation, and men bring in 62.7% of all NIL money. In NCAA Division III, men take a whopping 82.9% of the NIL profits. Donor deals — which account for 62.5% of all compensation — are grossly unequal, favoring men 93% of the time.  

These statistics did not surprise me. It is only a simple matter of supply and demand. Sports like football and men’s basketball attract the most media attention and bring in the most money. People want to watch those sports, so it’s fair those players are compensated accordingly. I cannot blame any football players for grabbing money-making opportunities that are handed to them.

Then, I reached further. Why do football and other men’s sports bring in the most money, and why are they most popular? This question underscores the inherent gender inequality that plagues sports across the world.

Historical inequality 

Football has been a centerpiece of American culture since it was first played in 1869. Professional teams have their own personality cults (as a Wisconsinite, I am well aware of the chokehold the Green Bay Packers hold over the entire state). Super Bowl Sunday is practically a national holiday, and federal holidays like Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Day are characterized by the NFL and collegiate games played on those days. In 2021, the NFL brought in $17.19 billion. Football is undeniably thoroughly integrated into American culture, and it profits heavily from such a relationship.

Where were women’s sports during the time when football became synonymous with America? The answer is simple: they hardly existed. In 1869, the year of the first football game, it was widely believed vigorous physical activity could leave women infertile — ignoring the physical labor done by African-American slaves for many years. As this notion faded, women’s sports opened up to the wealthy, and, in 1900, women could finally compete in low-intensity sports at the Olympics. However, this did not mean women had their place in sports. Women were dragged out of the Boston Marathon, deemed physically incapable of running the distance, as recently as 1967. Title IX passed in 1972 amid intense criticism, prohibiting sex discrimination in education programs and activities that receive federal assistance. This effectively required equal facilities, number of athletes and spending between men's and women’s sports. 

The passage of Title IX was a crucial moment for women’s sports. I like to think Title IX created a market for women’s sports but did not necessarily create demand. Men’s sports already had a monopoly on the entire sports entertainment market. Although now equal in theory, women’s sports have had to fight to gain the respect and attention men’s sports held de facto. Simply put, women’s sports have not had the same opportunities as men’s sports to become ingrained into American culture. Discrepancies in NIL compensation illustrate this.

I am not suggesting women’s cross country should overtake football as the sport with the most viewership and revenue. I am simply questioning why the highest-grossing sports are overwhelmingly male, and proposing several steps to help integrate women’s sports into American culture and even the NIL discrepancy.

Moving forward

Let’s start with the easy solutions: require NIL deal platforms, like Opendorse, to maintain equal compensation across offers targeted to men’s and women’s sports. If one men’s deal offers $1,000, then there must be a women’s deal offering the same. If this is not possible, then there must be two or more offers adding up to $1,000. 

Donor money should not be ignored. It is difficult to regulate third party contributions, and I do not believe we should limit how much athletes are allowed to accept from outside donors. I believe by changing the culture, we can make this aspect — and sports overall — more equal and equitable. 

Women’s sports must also be given equal media coverage. This includes coverage across social media, television, press releases and gaming. In a 30-year study, researchers at Purdue University found women's sports accounted for a dismal 5% of ESPN broadcasting. Fortunately, this statistic is on the rise. The soccer-based video game FIFA recently released female players and leagues. The 2023 NCAA women’s basketball championship game boasted a peak of 12.6 million viewers, 103% more than the 2022 final. These steps are crucial to boosting the popularity of women’s sports. 

To help get equal media coverage, women must occupy more positions within sports media and leadership. In 2021, zero of the top 100 sports radio personalities were women. Only 22.2% of sports journalists are women. There are only five female athletic directors in the 65 NCAA Power 5 schools. Statistics are even worse for women of color. If we can get equal representation, women can have advocates at the highest levels. Women in leadership ensure female sports are not afterthoughts. 

NIL exposes underlying inequality between men’s and women’s sports, but this is something we can try to fix. You can do your part by taking an interest in women’s sports. Follow social media accounts covering women’s sports. Find a WNBA or NWSL team to cheer for. I envision an age where someone mentions “March Madness” and a person replies with, “The men’s or women’s tournament?”