Skin care has become more than just a routine or a trend. It has become a lifestyle for some who strive to achieve that healthy glow. Beauty influencers have used their social media platforms to emphasize the importance of skin care. According to a professional esthetician at Facial Collective, skin care has major health benefits, including protection from stressors and self-confidence boosts. To jumpstart your skin care journey, let's explore facials, talk to a professional and curate a basic routine. If you're ready to take the first step towards healthy, radiant skin, let's get started.
Facial Collective opened in December 2022. Located at 426 W. Gilman St., the skin care studio is an easy location to access from campus. It’s a hidden gem nestled in the heart of Madison, and after passing it, I immediately booked an appointment to check it out. Upon entering the chic and aesthetically pleasing studio, I was greeted by a warm and welcoming atmosphere that immediately put me at ease.
The spa offers a range of skin care services, including facials, chemical peels, microdermabrasion and dermaplaning. With prices starting at $89 for your first visit, it’s an affordable option for a “skin reset” every month, compared to most spas.
As a college student, it's understandable to think that spending nearly $100 on a facial is a bit extravagant. However, if you're unsure about making room for it in your monthly budget, they offer a complimentary 15-minute consultation to help you determine what your skin needs and whether investing in a facial is worth it for you.
Head esthetician Morgan Srem discussed the importance of skin care and common misconceptions of facials.
“Skin care is important, because your skin is the largest organ of your body,” she explained.
“Anything you put on your skin, it is immediately absorbed into your bloodstream — therefore, it's important to put clean products on your skin.”
Srem emphasized the importance of regular facials and debunked common misconceptions surrounding them. She stressed the importance of creating and sticking to a consistent skin care routine, as it’s crucial to achieving desired results and avoiding the need to seek out a dermatologist right away.
“I am so happy when I am able to see the progress in people’s skin and truly help them achieve their goals,” she continued.
At the spa, I received a fully customizable Classic Facial Collective treatment tailored to my skin. I looked to address my combination skin, with both dry and oily areas, and restore a healthy, radiant glow to my complexion.
During my 50-minute facial, Danee Pryce, a talented esthetician, made the whole experience a delight. She was very easy to talk to — it felt like I was getting my facial from a friend, which made the first-time facial experience less overwhelming.
I noticed a difference in my skin immediately after. The facial helped remove dead skin cells, unclog my pores and increase blood flow, leaving my skin looking and feeling refreshed.
With the help of a skilled esthetician and the right products, many common skin issues can be addressed and improved through routine facials. Srem's knowledge and expertise on the topic further cemented my belief in the transformative power of regular facials as a crucial component of a healthy skin care routine.
However, if facials are not what you’re looking for, Srem shared some steps and products you can buy at your local pharmacy to get started:
- Cleanse: Cleansing is the first step in any skin care routine. Choose a gentle cleanser suitable for your skin-type and use it to remove dirt, oil and makeup from your skin. Srem recommended CeraVe or Cetaphil.
- Tone: Toning helps to balance the pH of your skin and remove any remaining impurities. Look for an alcohol-free toner that contains hydrating and soothing ingredients.
- Moisturize: This step is essential to keeping your skin hydrated and healthy. Choose a moisturizer that is appropriate for your skin-type, and apply it morning and night. Srem recommended the brands CeraVe or Curology.
- Sunscreen: Protecting your skin from the sun is extremely important. Don’t be fooled by the clouds in the sky — make sure to apply sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher to your face daily to prevent premature aging.
- Extras: Some people like to add additional products to their routine such as serums, exfoliants and masks. It is crucial to understand that adding those products to your skin care routine slowly has the most beneficial outcome, Srem said. Other skin care products and brands Srem recommended include Glossier, Bliss, Rhode and Supergoop.
Remember, skin care is all about trial and error. Be patient, and don't be afraid to adjust your routine as needed. With a little bit of time and effort, you'll be on your way to healthy, glowing skin.