DowntownMadisonView.jpg

Courtesy of Matthew Kleist via Flickr

Madison Night Market returns for another year

The Business Improvement District (BID) is hosting the Madison Night Market for its sixth consecutive year. It will feature various art vendors, pop-up restaurants and live music beginning in May.

According to Michelle Morrison, the programming coordinator at BID, the market aims to celebrate the creative culture that exists in Madison. Vendors will be set up along Gilman St. and State St. where they will offer handmade products, art and fresh produce. 

Vic Villacrez, current BID board chair, described the Madison Night Market as “a festive event creating the opportunity for the Madison community to come together and enjoy shopping, sidewalk cafes, music and so much more in the heart of our beautiful city.”

The event includes over 90 local vendors and 50 restaurants for visitors to enjoy. The vendors at the Madison Night Market are local brick and mortar stores that line State and Gilman St.

“There is a variety of artisan craft vendors, interesting foods, live performances or buskers allowing event goers to get the full pedestrian mall experience on State Street,” Villacrez explained.

This year, the Madison Night Market will also host live music at the Lisa Link Peace Park. Featured musicians include Line, a “multi-genre, collaborative music project by artist Maddie Batzli” and a blues band titled the Cash Box Kings.

This year, the featured artist is Esperanza Tyson, known for her murals and paintings — one located in the State St. restaurant, Sookie’s Veggie Burgers. She will be located at a booth in the middle of State St. all five nights. Her art is available on her Instagram and Etsy where she sells stickers, prints and jewelry. 

“I'm a local freelance artist and amateur bird enthusiast. Big fan of up-cycling and combining sustainability with beauty. Recently, I have painted a couple murals (one in Sookie's on State St., one in Los Angeles) and I do custom art, design and sewing commissions,” Tyson explained on the Downtown Madison website. “I did the Night Market art, which was an awesome opportunity to get in touch with Madison's magical and vibrant energy. I think the Night Market brings out a little wildness, whimsy and wonder, and I hope you feel it too.”

The Madison Night Market will be held May 11, June 6, Aug. 10, Sept. 14 and Oct. 19. For more information, visit https://visitdowntownmadison.com/madison-night-market.