Jessica Chudy Madison City Hall.JPG

Interim Ald. Matt Phair to run for District 20 alder in 2023 election

Matt Phair, who currently holds the position of District 20 alder in Madison Wisconsin, has decided to run again for Madison Common Council. The elections will be held on April 4. 

Although Phair did not originally plan on running, he announced he has decided to run again from the “urging of constituents, colleagues and family members,” according to a press release

“I believe my experience, deep grasp of the issues and no-nonsense leadership approach could serve District 20 and Madison well,” Phair said in the release.

Phair held the position of alder for District 20 from 2011-2019 and filled a vacancy for the District 20 alder position in June after former Alder, Christan Albouras resigned from the position upon moving out of District 20 with his family. This will leave Ald. Phair to be the incumbent running for District 20 against Barbara Harrington-McKinney, who is no longer running for District 1 due to redistricting.

Phair explained how making Madison more affordable is at the forefront of the Madison Common Council and his efforts as alder. 

In reference to making housing more affordable, he emphasized the importance of “robust city affordable housing investment that leverages Federal and State tax credits, strengthening our land banking program and making our development permitting process, generally, more predictable and streamlined.”

He also explained that violence prevention, budget discipline and city government reform are at the forefront of his mind in this upcoming election.  

“We all agree that the current model doesn't work as well as it should, I want to lead us in taking bold steps to make city government more responsive, representative and efficient for our residents,” Phair said.

Voting opens April 4 at local polling places. If you are unsure of your polling place, you can find it here.