Tuesday, March 19, 2024
Drake White-Bergey MPD Police.JPG

Police officers from the Madison Police Department, University of Wisconsin Police Department and Wisconsin State Capitol Police responded to a shooting on the 100 block of State Street on Tuesday night.

MPD releases identity of suspect in State Street shooting

Police are still searching for Lamar A. Jefferson, who has ties to Milwaukee.

The Madison Police Department (MPD) released the name of the suspect of the State Street shooting. 

At a press conference Wednesday afternoon, MPD Police Chief Shon Barnes identified the shooter as 40-year-old Lamar A. Jefferson. The suspect has no known address in Madison but has ties to Milwaukee, according to Barnes. 

ezgif-2-438c587bcf.jpg
Photo Courtesy of Madison Police Department

MPD is still trying to locate Jefferson, and Barnes said extra security measures will be in place in the surrounding area for the foreseeable future. 

“We assure you we are doing everything possible to keep Madison safe,” Barnes said. 

The shooting, which occurred shortly after 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, left a victim hospitalized after suffering multiple gunshot wounds. They are expected to survive. Barnes said the victim and suspect knew each other, and that the shooting was likely targeted.

Despite last night’s shooting, Barnes noted low levels of crime on State Street throughout the past years. Barnes said MPD responded to 11 weapons incidents in the State Street area in 2021, and that yesterday’s shooting was the first weapons incident this year in the area. 

“Crime has been trending down in this area for several years,” Barnes said. 

UWPD instituted a temporary shelter-in-place order at the Kohl Center Tuesday night after a basketball game. The suspect was reportedly seen in the 500 block of State Street, but Barnes confirmed the sighting was false.