IMG_0060.jpg

Mandela Barnes brings Pete Buttigieg to Madison to support his campaign for U.S. Senate

Democratic candidate Mandela Barnes for U.S. Senate brought his campaign to Madison on Friday during the WisDems Vote Early Event, discussing issues ranging from abortion rights to gas prices. 

Aside from Barnes, who currently serves as lieutenant governor, Democratic senator Tammy Baldwin, actor Bradely Whitford, Democratic Party of Wisconsin field organizer Corbin Baldwin, Mayor of Madison Satya Rhodes-Conway and the U.S. Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigieg attended the early voting event. 

The speakers voiced their concerns with the Republican party and discussed the differences between Barnes and current incumbent Sen. Ron Johnson. LGBTQ+ and abortion rights where among the differences mentioned. 

“He supported bans that had no exceptions for rape, incest or the life of the mother. It is dangerous and out of touch,” Barnes said of Johnson. 

Barnes also discussed the growing financial burden of the middle class and the reasons he suspects to be causes.

“We see rising costs at the gas pump, at the grocery store, and at the same time we see these grocery stores making record profits. These gas companies [are] making record profits and Ron Johnson is letting it happen,” Barnes said.

Buttigieg made an appearance, voicing his support for Mandela Barnes and what he stands for.

“It feels so good to be back in the Midwest, it feels so good to be here on the train helping to make sure that Mandela Barnes is the next United States Senator,” Buttigieg said.

Buttigieg went on to discuss the many different issues he believes Barnes will advocate for. Climate change, safety in schools, inflation and infrastructure were some of the issues mentioned.

“When it comes to fighting inflation, would you rather someone who sided with big pharmaceutical companies and said no to 35 dollar insulin or would you rather have someone like Mandela Barnes who knows who he represents,” he said.

Barnes plans to address issues including reproductive justice, middle class tax cuts, public and school safety, and inflation.

Early voting is still available either through absentee ballots or in person at your local polling place, or you can vote on election day, Nov. 8.