News_MarquetteUniversity.jpg

Milwaukee's new professional soccer team will play at the forthcoming Iron District, a sports and entertainment venue expected to open in 2024 near the Marquette Interchange.

Milwaukee Pro Soccer to start playing in 2025

The new team will play in Milwaukee’s forthcoming Iron District redevelopment, which will include an 8,000-seat soccer stadium.

Milwaukee Pro Soccer is joining the United Soccer League (USL) in 2025 at the Iron District’s new 8,000-seat stadium, the league announced Wednesday.

Milwaukee’s team will be the first outdoor professional soccer club located in the city since 2002, according to Wisconsin Public Radio. The new team will join USL’s Championship League, the second-highest tier of American professional soccer.

The team will play in a new 8,000-seat stadium located in Milwaukee’s forthcoming Iron District, a proposed 11-acre sports and entertainment development on the south edge of downtown near the Marquette Interchange. Heavy construction is scheduled to begin in the area within the next few weeks. 

The club’s lead investors are Milwaukee Pro Soccer and Forward Madison FC lead investor Kacmarcik Enterprises, according to the USL press release. The company’s founder Jim Kacmarcik believes the state of Wisconsin is a soccer hotbed

“Milwaukee is a premier sports city with a rich soccer culture that runs deep throughout our community,” Kacmarcik said. “This club, and the entire Iron District MKE project, share an ambitious vision of making a positive impact on the city of Milwaukee, and we can’t wait to get started.”

The local community welcomed Milwaukee Pro Soccer’s introduction with enthusiasm at Wednesday’s announcement event in downtown Milwaukee.

“I am pumped. I am excited about it,” Milwaukee Mayor Cavalier Johnson said about Milwaukee’s future. 

“We are proud to welcome the USL Championship to Milwaukee, and I commend the entire Iron District group on the inclusive, community-focused approach they are taking with this project,” Johnson added.

The introduction of Milwaukee Pro Soccer and the Iron District redevelopment are part of an effort to positively impact the culture and health of the city, according to USL chief operating officer and chief real estate officer Justin Papadakis. 

“Based on what we’ve seen in Madison, we know that Jim Kacmarcik and Milwaukee Pro Soccer will ensure the new club is a top-tier soccer organization, providing best-in-class facilities for its players, a world-class soccer experience for its fans and a commitment to having a positive community impact,” Papadakis said in a press release.

Milwaukee Pro Soccer is currently accepting team name suggestions from community members on its website.