400_Block_Buildings_Left_of_FairTradeCoffee.JPG

State Street businesses face potential displacement this fall

State Street may lose four small businesses if JD McCormick’s plan to build a five-story structure goes through.

Real estate developer JD McCormick proposed a new project that would create a five story structure on the 400 block of State Street. The proposal consists of a restaurant on two floors and housing on the top of it. 

The development would result in the loss of four local businesses, including Sencha Tea Bar, B-Side Records, Freedom Skateboard Shop and Pop Up Shop programs. Both the local businesses and any residents would have to relocate. 

Business Director of JD McCormick Colin Smith said that he is in contact with the tenants and is helping them get new locations for their businesses. 

“This project has been a hope and dream for years now… We decided to start the official process because State Street has had an increase in commercial vacancies and a decrease in pedestrian traffic. Our owner has lived in Madison his entire life and wants to be part of the revitalization of State Street,” Smith told the Wisconsin State Journal 

Smith also said he helped establish the Pop Up Shop Program and has been in contact with city staff to help relocate those specific stores. He added that the new mural on the side of 444 State St. overlooking the park will be preserved.

Dis. 2 Alder Patrick Heck stated that although there was support for the project at a neighborhood meeting Monday, he is worried about the loss of affordable apartments as well as businesses being displaced.

“While there is much to like about adding housing downtown, there are concerns about the loss of naturally occurring affordable apartments, the future of the local businesses being displaced and the potential loss of historic structures along State Street,” Heck said in an interview with The Daily Cardinal.

Heck explained that the Landmarks Commission believes the historic buildings are “significant structures,” and the Urban Design Commission will give their input on the proposed development’s design.

“I am reserving judgment until neighborhood stakeholders have a chance to weigh in and assume that the proposal could evolve through the neighborhood and city processes,” Heck said. 

B-Side Records owner Steve Manley said he has yet to hear from JD McCormick about the development proposal. 

“I first heard about it via Bob Koch at Isthmus, who emailed me Jan. 10, saying he stumbled upon a proposed demolition list on a City website, I believe," Manley told Tone Madison. “I was taken aback but not completely shocked, as we were only allowed a month-to-month lease when McCormick Properties acquired our building(s) close to three years back. Not allowing a longer lease was a red flag indicator that landlord plans were afloat.” McCormick will make an informational presentation to the Urban Design Commission at 4:30 p.m. Wednesday. If the proposal is approved, JD McCormick hopes to begin demolishing the buildings in September.