news_mpd.jpg

The amendment would create four new Police Officer positions and reclassify one Police Officer position to a Sergeant.

Madison police lieutenant caught having sexual relations in squad car resigns

Madison police lieutenant Reginald Patterson resigned Wednesday following an incident that took place this past September where bystander recorded Patterson having sexual relations with a woman in his squad car, the Madison Police Department announced. 

Patterson violated “multiple department policies” during the incident which occurred on Sept. 16 in a Farm and Fleet parking lot, an internal police investigation revealed. 

Police Cheif Shon Barnes said that “a separation from service was deemed the appropriate action," during a statement to the press. However, the Dane County Sheriffs’ office found no crime that occurred during the incident and Patterson is not expected to face criminal charges. 

Prior to Patterson’s resignation, Barnes intended to seek his termination following an investigation into the incident that was completed last Monday, Police department spokesperson Stephanie Fryer told The Wisconsin State Journal. 

Had Patterson declined to resign voluntarily, the matter would have been refered to the Police and Fire Commission which would determine whether or not to terminate Patterson. Such proceedings are typically expected to take upwards of one year, during which time the lieutenant would remain on paid leave, according to The Wisconsin State Journal

Marcel Scott, the bystander who filmed the incident, stated that he recorded and posted the video to social media to reveal irresponsibility within the department.  

"My daughter was murdered a year ago in Madison,” Scott said. “It was to basically show people that while these murders and all these unsolved crimes and gun violence and everything is going on that our officers are basically sitting there doing criminal activity.” 

Patterson was a 15-year-old veteran of the department and was the West Police Districts’ head of patrol.