hoofers.jpg

Hoofers to host the 57th annual Ski, Snowboard Resale

The Hoofers Ski and Snowboard Resale will return Dec. 4 and 5 after a year-long hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The event is the largest ski swap in the Midwest and individuals can find cross-country skis, snowboards and winter apparel at discounted prices. 

“The resale is loved by members and the community, since ski equipment is usually very expensive,” Hoofer Ski and Snowboard Club President Isabel Ullrich said. “Having the opportunity to buy discounted yet high quality equipment opens up skiing and snowboarding to people who otherwise might not be able to afford to try the sports. We are excited to hold the resale again and to get more people on the slopes this winter.”

According to Ullrich, the primary goal of the resale is to cater to any community member. 

“A lot of people from the community come to the resale, especially those who are buying skis or equipment for their kids. It’s expensive to buy equipment when kids will grow out of it very quickly,” said Ullrich. “But a lot of college students also come to buy inexpensive stuff because a lot of them are on a tight budget.”

Local and national vendors supply equipment for the resale. Some of this year’s vendors include Endurance Enterprises, Fitzharris Ski, Bike and Outdoor, Lakewood Ski and Sport, Sol Alpine and Wayne’s Ski and Cycle. 

Hoofers also collects new or slightly used gear donated or sold by the greater Madison community. Drop off times are Dec. 2 and 3. Individuals interested in selling their equipment are able to track the sale of their items online, but the Ski and Snowboard Club will take a portion of the sale.  

“It’s a very great experience for me to see other people take advantage of the resale. It’s also nice for people in the community to sell their stuff. People who have skis and equipment sitting in their basement can donate or sell it to help others,” Ullrich added in an interview with the Daily Cardinal. 

Proceeds from the event support Hoofers Nordic, Alpine and Freestyle teams by funding their annual free ski trips with non-profits organizations, including Big Brothers and Big Sisters. 

“A majority of our money comes from resale. Without the resale, we wouldn’t be able to do much,” Ullrich said. “It funds all the grant programs and other events we do for our accessibility side of things. It opens up a lot of doors for us as a club and I’m very grateful for that opportunity.” 

The Hoofers Alpine and Nordic teams will offer waxing and sharpening services for skis and snowboards to make an additional profit. Waxing and tuning for a snowboard or pair of skis will cost $15. 

“Especially if you want to try out skiing, the resale is a great place to get stuff for inexpensive prices. It’s a great opportunity and you don’t have to be a member to buy anything,” said Ullrich. 

The resale will take place at Union South’s Varsity Hall from Dec. 4 to Dec. 5. Community members and students can drop off or purchase winter gear at discounted prices to prepare for the frigid months ahead while supporting UW-Madison’s premier outdoor club.