ElenaHaasl.jpg

Dane County Supervisor and UW-Madison student Elena Haasl will not seek reelection

The District 5 Dane County Supervisor and University of Wisconsin-Madison student Elean Haasl announced today that they do not intend to run for a second term in the upcoming 2022 election.  

District 5 is a student-majority area that encompasses much of the UW-Madison campus including the dorms, State Street and Eagle Heights. Haasl has represented the district since 2020. 

In a statement to the press, Haasl explained that they plan not to seek re-election so that they can focus on their own personal wellbeing. 

“At this time, I feel that it is necessary to take a step back from public office to focus on my wellbeing as I continue my graduate studies at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Passing the torch to another supervisor is within the best interests of my constituents, colleagues and myself,” Haasl stated.

During Haasl’s time on the board, they have served on several committees including the Equal Opportunity Commission, Human Services Board and City-County Homeless Issues Committee.

No candidates have announced their intention to run for the District 5 position with the election to fill the now vacant position scheduled to take place on April 5. With Haasl’s announcement, there is now a total of seven incumbents who are not planning to seek re-election to the Dane County Board.  

In an interview conducted with the Cardinal earlier this year, Haasl encouraged UW-Madison students to run for public office, citing the need for more young people to be involved in local politics.  

“Do your research, reach out to people already holding that position and make an informed decision on if you think you can realistically commit to the job. Holding public office comes with a lot of emotional stress and requires a lot of time and effort,” Haasl stated. “That being said, you should do it! Even though things can move a little slowly, we need more young people in government because the issues being discussed by officials impact everyone. We need to become more involved so that we can deal with these issues and protect our futures.”