a capella groups

Campus a capella groups unite for combined showcase

Pitches and Notes and Fundamentally Sound, two student a cappella groups, will take the stage for a combined show at Shannon Hall at Memorial Union Friday. 

The showcase will be their biggest event thus far in the semester, with plans to perform the newly released single “Creature” which was produced and sung by both groups together. Since its release in mid-October, the song has racked up thousands of streams. 

The single was recorded earlier in the year during the spring with a Fundamentally Sound alum Lee Stovall who arranged it into a cappella. Having performed together before, the groups had yet to record a song in tandem despite having their own separate award-winning discographies on streaming platforms.

For Pitches and Notes singer Leah Terry, recording the song last spring was the highlight of her semester, and she is excited the song is out and able to be shared. 

“‘Creature’ helped us all feel connected again after a long time not singing together,” said Terry. “I think we all rely on music as a constant in our lives - something we’ll always have to share. Being back in the recording studio brought back that feeling of togetherness that I think we had all been missing.”

In their first semester back to practicing fully in-person, both groups have been rehearsing and performing various gigs including Night at the Overture, Badger Bash and Badger Family Fest. After rehearsing and meeting virtually most of last season, the new season brought the groups back together in person and enabled them to make music once again. 

“This song represents our perseverance through the year of not being able to sing together, and it has made us so proud to be able to have all of our singers together on a recording,” Terry said.

For Fundamentally Sound singer Roberts Jansons, the new song was an opportunity to come out of his comfort zone. The song features a baritone opening and closing solo, and Roberts was given both to sing. 

“It gave me the opportunity to improve my solo style and get over my stage fright,” Jansons said. “Working with Pitches and recording Creature was a blast, and we are all super proud of the end product. This was my first recording project I’d ever done and being able to say that my voice is on Spotify and Apple Music is a cool flex.”

After working hard over the summer, the groups have full and diverse repertoires they are passionate about performing. As for the rest of the semester, both groups will begin preparation for the International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella Tournament  where they are set to compete separately next semester.

“We’re hoping to make it to finals again this year, and we’re excited to put in the work for it over the next few months,” Roberts said.

Tickets are still on sale for the groups’ Friday showcase.