IMG_2119-2.jpg

Helpful resources for finding housing

When entering the University of Wisconsin-Madison, most freshmen do not have to be concerned about housing, since they will live in the dorms. But what about when you become a sophomore? Are you going to stay in your dorm, or are you going to live off-campus? 

Figuring out where to live for the next school year is a big concern for many college students, and it can be stressful and overwhelming. Academics and social aspects are primary focuses in college, however, your living arrangement plays a crucial role in your overall experience as well. Where you decide to live will be the place you are going back to after a long night of studying at the library, or hours of partying. Your home should be a place where you can relax, feel safe and be productive. 

The decision of your living arrangement requires many thoughts, including weighing the advantages and disadvantages of each option. Some of the things you need to consider are affordability, utilities, location, safety and choice of roommates. Ultimately, you have to decide which aspects are most important to you and which you are willing to sacrifice. 

That being said, I have found some helpful resources during the process of figuring out my living situation. Here are some helpful resources you can use to find the right place for you. 

1. University Housing (https://www.housing.wisc.edu)

Are you interested in living on campus? Options for undergraduates include dorms, focused learning communities and affinity communities. This website provides you with all the information you need about on-campus housing.  

2. Campus Area Housing (https://campusareahousing.wisc.edu/)

This website is for students who are transitioning out of the dorms and need help with their search. Not only do they give you a list of resources and the active housing list, but they also give you a place to find roommates and videos on renter education. If you don’t know where to start, this website is for you. 

3. Apartments.com 

If you are interested in living off-campus, this next website is the perfect tool. By specifying your preferred location, budget and other preferences, this website will give you a list of apartments you may want to consider. 

4. Madison Apartment Living (https://www.madisonapartmentliving.com/search.j?)

This website is similar to Apartments.com, however, it was made specifically for the Madison area. By using the map on the website, you will find apartments located around your preferred location. 

These resources will help you find your new home, and there are many more resources available. Make sure you go through your options carefully! The process of finding the right place might be daunting, but you will be grateful in the long run.