CardiandGrothman.jpg

U.S. Rep. Glenn Grothman said his office has received complaints about Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion’s Grammys performance. Cardi B said Grothman should focus on more pressing issues like police brutality. 

Cardi B claps back at Wisconsin representative’s ‘WAP’ complaints

U.S. Rep. Glenn Grothman, R-Glenbeulah, stood on the House floor Thursday morning to discuss Cardi B and her recent Grammys performance of “WAP” with Megan Thee Stallion.

The performance, a live spectacle of the rappers’ hit song about female sexual empowerment, initially sparked a backlash from people who believed it was too raunchy and inappropriate for young viewers. 

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) received more than 1,000 emails complaining about the March 14 performance, according to Rolling Stone. While the original song includes explicit terminology, it was censored for the Grammys.

“I have received complaints in my office, and rightfully so, about Cardi B and the Grammys. They wonder why we are paying the FCC if they feel this should be in living rooms across the nation,” Grothman said. His district includes Fond du Lac, Sheboygan and Manitowoc. 

The FCC regulates interstate and international communications by radio, television, wire, satellite and cable. 

“I realize that Kamala Harris has used her fame to promote this performer, but I assure the FCC that millions of Americans would view her performance as inconsistent with basic decency,” continued Grothman. “Wake up FCC, and begin to do your job. The moral decline of America is partly due to your utter complacency.”

Cardi B responded to the video on Twitter, saying Grothman should instead focus on recent incidents of police brutality and the Derek Chauvin verdict.

Gov. Evers also responded to the video of Grothman, saying he’s not an “expert on that genre of music.” 

“It just seems troubling that we’re arguing about things like that. Whether one person believes it’s legitimate, another person doesn’t, it just seems like there’s a lot more important things to worry about,” Evers told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Emma Grenzebach

state news writer