Photo of a dog.

An English Cocker Spaniel to call your own

As students attending college during a global pandemic, I am sure we have all experienced our fair share of online examinations over this past year. Since no two professors are the same, the criteria for taking these tests always differs. Some professors require us to use a proctoring system like Honorlock, while others allow us to have our notes and books open for the duration of the test. Some teachers set a time-limit, expecting us to complete the exam once we start it, while others give us days to work on it and upload our final submissions. Some professors only allow students to take the exam in the evening, while others require it be done in the morning. For me, this lack of consistency is very straining on my mental health.

I remember when COVID-19 first hit, and we all got sent home last March. In my opinion, most of the professors were a lot more understanding, and sympathetic to our needs as students, than they are now. They realized that online schooling was much more difficult than the typical in-person learning style we were used to, and the testing procedures were set up to accommodate us in our home settings. This meant that teachers required no proctoring systems, gave us longer time-limits and we could take the exam in the morning, or in the evening, allowing everyone to accommodate for their own schedules and testing preferences.

Personally, I hate taking exams at night. Having a test in the evening causes me to stress about it all day — granting the strain to my mental health. This is my preference and may sound nothing like yours, but if we could choose when we took our tests, again depending on our own preferences, everyone would benefit mentally.

Let me address the elephant in the room, however. The reason why professors are not allowing us to do this: Cheating. Professors do not trust us, but can we blame them? During this pandemic, as mental health issues have increased, people’s trustworthiness has decreased. I will let you decide which is worse, but, maybe, the University could consider having a more consistent testing procedure for all courses and professors? I know this would help with lowering some of my mental health issues but, in case the inconsistency continues, I know of a Professor who can help us all destress!

Professor is a male English Cocker Spaniel. He is considered a senior which means he is above the age of eight, but his exact age is unknown. He currently resides at the Dane County Humane Society but is looking for a new home, and you might be the perfect fit! He weighs about 35 pounds and, as a reference for his size, is slightly larger than a full-grown cat. Professor has black fur covering most of his head and white on the rest of his body, with occasional splotches of black.

Professor loves to shout his love for you, sometimes loudly, so a house would be the best setting as to not upset any neighbors. Also, he is quite greedy and would prefer to be the only dog you give your attention and affection to.

As stated above, Professor is a senior. So, he comes with more health problems. Once adopted, he may show signs of stress and anxiety but, do not fret, the Humane Society has medication for these symptoms and will send you home with it. He will need regular dental cleanings due to his periodontal disease that affects his gums. He is more prone to ear infections because of how his ears are shaped, so scheduling an appointment with a veterinarian to keep his ears clean as he ages would be a good idea. Ultimately, Professor does have quite a few health conditions — maybe more than you would want for a dog you would be willing to adopt. But let’s not forget, he has lived a long and hard life, and, in return for some love and medical attention from you, he will provide you with endless snuggles, kisses and joy.

Professor’s adoption fee is $250plus tax. This price may be slightly above your budget, but, honestly, we have all been saving our money from less trips to the bars this past year, meaning you could swing this one-time expense. If you would like to move forward with this process, please visit the following link: Dane County Humane Society – Professor.

Ultimately, this pandemic is taking a toll on all of us. Students, professors and animals alike are struggling. The inconsistency of the testing procedures, mental health issues and cheating may continue, but Professor the dog can help you through this hard time! All you must do is adopt!