COVID_vaccine_UHS21_4120

UW Health reflects on one year of COVID-19

On Saturday, one year after its employees treated the first case of COVID-19 in Wisconsin — only the 12th case of COVID-19 in the United States — UW Health took the time to honor its Healthcare Heroes by recognizing their bravery throughout the pandemic-ridden year.

Healthcare Heroes, otherwise known as front-line healthcare providers, are acknowledged by UW Health for “their [unmatched] commitment to patient care and to our community.”

“COVID-19 has forced us to adjust so much about how patients seek healthcare and how we provide it during this crisis,” says UW Health. “Through a combination of hard work, dedication, flexibility and ingenuity, our healthcare heroes are making sure the needs of our patients and our community come first, even in these difficult times.”

UW Health posted a video to Twitter on Jan. 29, featuring front-line healthcare providers and reflections of their purposes within the integrated health system.

“So many people have come together to do different roles and they want to help make this go as best as I can for all of our patients,” says Ann Sheehy, MD — a UW Health hospitalist.

On Jan. 30, UW Health’s Dr. Nasia Safdar joined Madison Mayor Satya Rhodes-Conway, Dane County Executive Joe Parisi and Public Health Madison & Dane County Director Janel Heinrich on News 3 Now at 10 p.m. to discuss the pandemic from multiple angles. 

WISC-TV reporter Gabriella Bachara covers the News 3 Now discussion, which highlights “the good, bad and ugly of the pandemic.”

Safdar finds a silver lining during trying times by telling Channel3000 that vaccine rollout in Wisconsin will be less difficult than attaining the actual vaccine.

“That is a relatively small hurdle compared to developing it in the first place,” Safdar explained. “If we can make an amazing vaccine, we can certainly get it out into the field.”

Likewise, UW Health leaders looked at alterations and strides made in the healthcare industry over the past year. UW Health highlighted changes it has made to ventilation and PPE protocols over the past year as well.