arts_B.jpg

Beabadobee released her debut album "Fake It Flowers," which is her most intimate work yet. 

Here’s what you might have missed in the arts world this week

Music lovers love a good Friday. Why? Once the clock hits midnight every Friday night, new music is sure to flood your music library on your platform of choice. All week long, you can follow along as anticipation builds for an anticipated album, EP or even a single. Here’s what you might have missed this week: 

Apolonio by Omar Apollo

23-year-old Omar Apolonio Velasco, known to most as Omar Apollo, released his third album “Apolonio” this past Friday. This nine-track record showcases Apollo’s ability to intertwine his Mexican heritage with R&B. Working with legends like Albert Hammond Jr. (THE STROKES!) and Mk.gee, Apollo’s new album proves he means business as he continues to soar across the music industry. 

Fake it Flowers by Beabadoobee

Signed to the same record label as The 1975, Beatrice Laus, who goes by Beabadoobee, released her first studio album last Friday. Fake it Flowers is an ode to the nineties, with each song reminding you of any classic favorite you keep in rotation. Turning more towards alt-rock, you might know her from her more chillish, laidback bop turned lo-fi TikTok anthem, “Coffee.” If you’re interested in a good album to play in the background while you sort your life out, give this one a try.

Before by James Blake 

Giving his cover of “Godspeed” during quarantine proved to not be generous enough for James Blake. The 32-year old British singer, songwriter and producer released an EP last week. Blake has a voice made to swoon, it’s soft, comforting and makes you forget about everything for the 16 minutes it runs. 

Someone New by Helena Deland 

Montreal native Helena Deland released her debut album this past week, titled Someone New. Deland succeeds in her ability to tell-all. She’s whimsical, brooding and so very honest. Her music shines through in a way you might not expect. Go for a walk, sit with a view and stream “Someone New” for a chance to get lost in something beautiful. 

Sundowner by Kevin Morby 

If you’ve ever wanted to listen to a love letter to Kansas City, fear not. Kevin Morby’s new album Sundowner explores and praises the place where Morby grew up. Having spent the past few months livestreaming shows alongside indie’s very finest, Waxahatchee — who is also his girlfriend — Morby has taken the time to grow as an artist and that shines through on his new record. 

This list is just a brief look into the new music that continues to drop every week. Next Friday, try and find one new thing and give it a listen. 

Send us what you've been listening to at arts@dailycardinal.com