College 101: How to Prepare Your Home for a New Cat

Cats are a great addition to any home and family. They're cute, cuddly, and comforting—what isn't to love? But before you bring a new cat into your home, you need to make sure you're prepared. If you bring your new cat home without making sure your house is ready, you're risking your new fur baby feeling scared and uncomfortable. So to help make sure you're ready to become a pet parent, here are a few important tips to keep in mind.

Get the necessities.

Cats are pretty simple animals to care for but there are a few items they need in a home. First, food and water bowls—you should set up an eating and drinking station somewhere in your home that your new cat will feel comfortable in. Make sure to get the type of food your vet or rescue organization recommends and always have the water bowl filled with fresh water for them to drink. Along with food and water, your cat needs a litter box, too. 

Litter box training is fairly simple and your cat should be using the litter box in no time. Make sure to put the litter box in a safe and comfortable area and consider having more than one if you live in a multi-story home. And while these are the basics you'll need, you can also buy toys, beds, and other fun items for your new furry friend to enjoy.

Consider your surfaces.

Cats have claws and while they tend to only come out when they're scratching or fighting, you should keep the claws in mind when thinking about preparing your home. If you have lots of nice fluffy carpeting or expensive hardwood floors, you may want to consider replacing them with something more cat-friendly. Considering vinyl floor installation is a great option because vinyl floors are durable and not easily damaged by animals. Vinyl is also budget-friendly so you won't have to worry about breaking the bank for new floors. 

Additionally, if you have furniture you don't want the cat scratching on, consider spraying it with some type of cat scratch spray to deter your kitty from scratching the furniture—or you can cover the furniture or even move it to an area of the house where the cat won't be. Taking these precautionary steps will keep your floors and furniture scratch-free. And if your cat starts to scratch at things it shouldn't, do some research on ways to gently train them to unlearn those behaviors.

Invest in pet insurance.

When you adopt an animal, it's your job to do everything you can to keep them safe, healthy, and happy. This is why all pet owners should invest in pet insurance—as a pet parent, you're sure to do what you can to keep your cat healthy, but accidents do happen and your cat could get sick or injured. If your fur baby gets hurt and has to have surgery or needs expensive medication for an illness, or even cancer treatment, pet insurance can help you afford the treatment. 

Generally, cat insurance plans will cover accidents and illnesses, but some plans cover preventative care, too. Ultimately, it's up to you to decide which plan to get but the important thing is that you have insurance so you won't have to worry about the high costs of emergency care. And fortunately, you can compare pet insurance with iSelect to ensure you find the right plan for you and your cat.

Bringing a cat into your home and your heart is not something that should be taken lightly. So to make sure both you and your new cat start off on the right foot, consider the simple tips discussed in this article.